The Prussian PLM for Enlisted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Prussian PLM for Enlisted

Last edited by stogieman; 11-19-2005, 04:40 PM.

Though bearing an eerie resemblance to Gore Vidal, it is interesting to see that this winner has chosen to go with the just-presented look, rather than place such a high award in the middle of his medal bar where it might get lost.

Note also that he is wearing his pre-WWI enlisted man's tunic, complete with marksmanship lanyard (!) in the mid or late 1930s!

I don't see any NCO lace on his collar, which would make him, at most, a Gefreiter, if not an ordinary private--certainly adding layers and layers of rarity to this award. Too bad he didn't autograph it for us!

Comment

EEEWWW

I think he is having a flashback from the front-- right about the time he pooped his pants!

Comment

GMMC

Here is my GMMC. Unfortunately, I didn't win it myself.

This one is not marked but I probably paid the price of a marked badge. That may tell some of you who i bought it from. I was told by this man that there were unmarked GMMCs issued as evidence from his buying a few directly from the family of GMMC awardees who state that no other cross was ever in possession.

Is this correct or does anyone really know for sure?

Comment

I've always heard that issue pieces are Silver Gilt and marked accordingly. That said, the pieces marked for Wagner, etc, sell like hot cakes. One vendor has an unmarked piece that has been around for a while. Perhaps the price is too high, or perhaps folks just like the marked pieces better. I really don't know an answer there. The Nimmergut catalog shows both Silver Gilt and Bronze Gilt as material types. I've never seen a marked Bronze piece, but I'm still a neophyte in collecting.
          Cheers,
          Dan

Comment

I personally wouldn't have an unmarked in my collection at anything even close to full price--let alone Retail Plus. (Am I getting "warm," Charles?... )

But that is just my personal collecting philosophy. I would rather be safe than sorry-- I don't have money to burn on ANYTHING that is questionable. There isn't enough in my budget to acquire all the perfectly good "ordinary" $XXX stuff out there without being lured onto the collecting rocks by the siren song of "variant" exotica...

especially from, ahem, certain Self-Proclaimed Dealer Gods whose grasp on the basics leaves much to be desired.

Comment

Hey Stogieman!! Seems to me that we played ping pong with a cased one a while back?? Where did it go?? Mike

Comment

From a historical and symbolic perspective, these are great awards. But, as far as the aesthetics of the pieces themselves, they are pretty dull. Personally, I think these awards are all overpriced and over-rated. They are also too easy to copy.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X