Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this gold medal? Imperial?

Hi,

I picked this up at my hotel buy yesterday with a Imp EK2.. Never seen it before?

thanks
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hello oldnewbie,

Your new medal is a Bavarian Military Merit Cross, 3rd class, with swords.
      I am sorry to say that it is neither gold nor gold plate, but copper plated
      base metal (messing).

Regards,

Wild Card

Comment

Boy... that would be nice if it was REALLY GOLD.. at $1200 an ounce that would be Great.

Any decent "value' to it?

thanks

Comment

This is a fairly common medal and does not bring much money, even cased.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Campbell View Post
            This is a fairly common medal and does not bring much money, even cased.
            Steve is absolutely correct, but I am inclined to look at it another way.

I have felt for a long time that the Bavarian Military Merit Cross is possibly the best entry level decoration for, especially new, Imperial German orders and decorations collectors. For instance -

1. From it’s beginning in 1866 through 1918, it went through several revisions and changes. Which created variations.

2. During its existence it was produced by several different jewelers which creates numerous more variations. A few years ago, I had the good fortune of seeing such a collection and when seen all together, it’s size and scope were amazing.

3. As Imperial German decorations go, these crosses are certainly inexpensive; but should the opportunity present itself, one’s collection can always move upward to the Military Merit Order. It is a natural transition and it is always fun to see where the “Fasten Your Seat Belt” sign will go on.

Wild Card

Comment

What Wild Card said, some of the higher classes of this award, such as the second class with crown, are actually fairly scarce and still relatively cheap.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X