Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bavarian Gold Bravery Medal, addendum

Fellow Members,

A recent thread (Bavarian Gold Bravery Medal, by Fred Borgmann) reminded me of the medal shown below. It is impressed “B Hauptmünzamt * 900” on the rim from about 4 to 6 o’clock. It is my understanding that such pieces were officially produced by the Royal Mint to supply late awards and official replacements.
    Attached Files

This medal (or the one that it is meant to replace) was awarded to Sgt.-Major Adolf Fichtner for successful defense against overwhelming Russian assault on 21 June 1916. Does anyone know anything about these “B Hauptmünzamt * 900” medals?
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is his silver medal.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm not an expert but why is the gold medal not RIES stamped. I thought the isued gilded habe the MM. Further i know only "1000" and half moon stamped gilded medal.

Regards Alex

Comment

it doesn't have the RIESS mark as it is not an issue medal, it is a replacement spangenstuck. I haven't seen one marked in that manner before but quality looks nice so probably an ok one as the award pieces are now very expensive!

Comment

But Wild Card wrote that it is stamped "Hauptmünzamt". That mean it is an official medal and it was award to Sgt.-Major Adolf Fichtner.

That sounds like an issued medal but however unusual without REIS and "1000" silver content.

Regards Alex

Comment

After late1916 only gold plated silver versions (and silver) were issued. Probably with the intention to replace them with real gold medals after the war. I wonder if this medal is one of those. To make recognition of the gold plated pieces easy they may have dropped the Reis signature and replaced it with the mint name on the edge. The loop on this piece looks thicker than my and other jewelers copies.

Comment

Fred i don't think that they droped the RIES stamp. This indicated that it is a official medal. All official medal from last version (silver, silver gilded and gold) had the RIES stamp. I only know "1000" and half moon stamped gilded medaqls.

So maybe one of the bavarian collectors can help us.

Regards Alex

Comment

I don't know and cannot be sure, but may it be a post 1918 replacement medal from official origin?

Does Nimmergut state something in his "opus magnum"? I don't have it handy by now...
                  sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

First of all there were some official issues of this medal without the die cutter's signatures as mentioned in H&S and Nimmergut but I am sure this is not one of those versions. The Bavarian mint mark used on coins is "D". The Munich mint did do a lot of private contract work as did all the German mints, and most of this was in the form of private fund raising medals. On all of those that I have seen the mint always spelled out it's name on the edge similar to yours. this makes me think that while you medal is made at the mint it is a contract item and therefore the quality of your medal is so much better than the others like mine. Again I suspect that the intention here as with the late war PLM's was to issue gold plated versions which were to be replaced after the war with real gold versions.

Comment

Although we have not come up with a definitive answer, I think that we certainly have some ideas which could be helpful.

Before this thread gets lost, I hink that it is only proper to introduce you to Adolf Fichtner -
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you all for your responses and input.
                        Attached Files

Comment

If I may point you guys into this direction:

http://www.medalnet.net/Bavarian_Bravery_Medal.htm

Comment

Thank you medalnet.

Very interesting - and helpful.

Maybe our friend in Bavaria would have something on this.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

nice piece.

if you want sell it or in future tell me.

greets from bavaria
                              chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X