Another Pickelhaube Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Pickelhaube Question

--In what year did Prussia adopt the Red White and Black national cockade on their helmets? Wouldn't it have been after 1870?

Hi Bill,
    The Reichs-Kokarde was introduced in March 1897. The red-white-black cockade was to be worn on the right side of all states pickelhaube. The individual state cockade was to be worn on the left.

Wilhelm II instituted this among the other celebrations and awards in the commemoration of the 100th anniversary of Wilhelm I's birthday.

Matt

Comment

--Welcome to the best forums on the net, Matt.
      --Thanks for the clarification. I love `em but their not my strong suit but I'm learning.
      --I'm looking one over right now at 'Regimentals', but the cockade thing threw me.
      Here's part of the description, it's a Model 1867:
      "...All brass trim in good undamaged condition complete with its red, white and black cockade. Chinscales are of the Flak Leaved style for Infantry. Helmet was originally issued to Regiment 130, which has been impressed into the leather on the inside of the skull and further re-issued to the 70th Infantry Regiment which is applied in a light paint..."
      --Am I missing something or would you include the "complete with its red, white and black cockade" sentence so casually as if it were normal for this model? What would be a reason for a M67 to have the red in there?

Comment

Hi Bill,

I looked at the helmet on Regimental's site that your talking about. It looks ok as far as the pictures go in regards to being a model 1867. Some of the features to find on this model is the lack of a rear spine, stitching up the front of the body and covered by the wappen, pearl ring on the spike, flat chinscales and a higher domed body. As for the wording on the cockade, it could just be a typo. The one pictured only has one cockade on the right side which is correct although you can't see what it looks like from the pics. I don't believe it was originally issued to IR 130 as that regiment wasn't formed until 1881. Most likely it was issued to IR 70 first then to IR 130. It was not uncommon for the markings to be painted in the dome.

The thing to always remember about the older EM pickelhaube is that the majority around today have been mixed and matched with parts, and not by collectors or dealers but by the German military. The expected life of the older helmets was 15 years and 10 years for the model 1897. The reason the older helmets were expected to last longer is that they used a thicker gauge leather on them. This life expectancy was usually longer than most EM would have served and they would be modified and repaired when needed. During WWI tons of the older helmets were cut down, modified and pieced together for issue to Reserve and Landwehr troops. Even during the war there were reclamation units who would take servicable parts off of a couple different helmets and create a Frankenstein piece for issue.

Spike Helmets can be a virtual mine field due to all of the possible variations by era, branch of service and state. A good reference source is 'The Pickelhaube' by J.A. Bowman. It's been out of print for awhile and I don't know if later editions will be printed. From the pics on Regimental's site the helmet looks like a good representational piece. I've never dealt with them before but I have not heard anything bad about them. Personally I'd research the helmets before making the investment as with anything. A good online source is: http://www.pickelhaubes.com/

I'm not an expert on pickelhaube so don't just take my word for it. I'd read up on them as much as possible. Hope this is able to help.

Matt

Comment

Bowman books

I'm pretty sure the two volumes of the Bowman books won't go back into print, at least for a while, it's doubtful whether the next volumes will be published. It's all very mysterious ! I've had a look at that pickel on the website, good early domed shape, why not request one or two extra photos ? Do be careful, one pickelhaube starts to look lonely after a while. Wish I could afford more additions, but a display of state plates can make a really good display, ( & yes they are being re-struck ).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X