Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeppelin Pilot's Badge

Gentlemen,

I have only limited experience with WWI German badges, so I am interested to hear your opinions about this particular one. Is it authentic? Is the green "paint" on the obverse wreath supposed to be there? I thought these badges had a crown incorporated into the design?

Thanks in advance for any input.

- GREG E.
    Attached Files

Zeppelin Pilot's Badge

Reverse...
    Attached Files

Comment

Zeppelin Pilot's Badge

Reverse, different angle...
      Attached Files

Comment

Zeppelin Pilot's Badge

Reverse, yet another angle...
        Attached Files

Comment

Zeppelin Pilot's Badge

Close-up of maker-mark.
          Attached Files

Comment

Details appear 'soft', and the maker marks look spurious to me as well.

Comment

I supose this is a modern copy. Yes the Army Luftschiffer badges had this green "paint".

Regards Alex

Comment

The army luftschiffer badges had no crown atop, the marine ones did. I have seen both army and marine with green lacquer applied particularly on Maybauer examples,which is a bit odd. The one you show I am sorry to say is a modern copy and appears in both army and marine format. This is the first time I have seen one of these with a green coating applied. Obviously an attempt to make it more real looking. MM and assay marks are way off ! Sorry.Ferg1

Comment

This appears to be a die made piece. It is in poor condition, but the hardware and fittings appear to be period. Ignoring the markings, which could have been added after the fact, exactly why is this a modern copy? How about some facts.

Comment

Appears to have some age by the patina. Doesnt seem a faked patina , makers stamp appears a little light , but even some observers badges and such sometimes have light stampings. i would also be interested in why this one is a fake. Maybe show a few members own to compare. Patina is tough to reproduce. HHMMM. Sure is fooling me.

Comment

Juncker did not use those markings on any of their known examples.

Comment

Seriously guys,this is a FAKE ! I have to go to work now but will elaborate later. Here are real ones.

Ferg1

Comment

Have no doubt that this is not a period badge. Maybe old but but not original. This is not the first time i see this kind of badge. Some without the green paint.

Regards Alex

Comment

Alex:
                            You have furnished us an opinion and a conclusion. How about some facts that this is a bad badge? The fact that you have seen it many times proves nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by matovsky View Post
                              This appears to be a die made piece. It is in poor condition, but the hardware and fittings appear to be period. Ignoring the markings, which could have been added after the fact, exactly why is this a modern copy? How about some facts.
                              just because its a die made piece does not mean its real! and you say the marking could have been added after the fact? now how would they do this with out damaging the badge?also if it has "been added after the fact" then its been fiddle with! this to me does not look real as the hard ware looks quite crude (look at that catch!) and the details are very soft! having owned ww1 flight badges i can tell you they should have crisp detail on them and there most certainly not on this! can you post a pic of a known good piece that correspond with the one at the start of this thread! also ferg1 has given you facts as to why this is fake and if theres anyone on this forum who knows his facts its him!but can i ask where your getting your information as how this is a real piece?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X