EspenlaubMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O Peter! Friedrich! Ludwig! Would You Come In Here & Put Your House In Order, Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O Peter! Friedrich! Ludwig! Would You Come In Here & Put Your House In Order, Please?

OK, "they" were actually only ONE guy, the Grand Duke of Oldenburg, in whose memory the Duchy's House Order was created.

These scans are from Steven N up in Canada, and show a SILVER Grand Cross with "swords on Ring." Yes, SILVER. They complicated things by having SEVERAL versions of Grand Crosses.

Here is the obverse:
    Attached Files

The reverse reveals significant dates in the multiple-named one's life, delicately hand painted (as is the coat of arms) :
    Attached Files

Comment

Absolutely beautiful! Hand painted! Jeez, Imperial quality over T.R. quantity any day.

Comment

Pfl

Thank you for posting this ,Rick .I have yet to get the straight story on silver vs, gold grand crosses.I have a few silver ones and was lead to believe that silver was for Oldenburgers and gold for foriegners ;however ,I don't know if this is true.Any one out there with statutes for the order?
        thanks,stevenn

Comment

Now that is true Imperial quality! Thanks for sharing them Rick!
          Antti

Comment

Hot DAMN these Imperial things are good lookin'!
            I darn not ask what it would cost me to own such a thing but,... how much?
            Best, Sal

Comment

Hi Rick,

beautiful cross...... ..maybe it is the same......
              Attached Files

Comment

Pfl

Where did you find that photo?It looks identicle to mine ,but mine has been in a trunk for decades(since I broke it in the 1950's).The damaged ring looks the same ?Was this a common breaking point as I know it's just about impossible to find them without broken swords.Herr Knaur did have his problems.

Comment

And on the thought of broken swords, here's another from Steven
                  Attached Files

Comment

damn there nice peices!!! this is why im starting to go over to imperail!!!!

Comment

Very nice workmanship.

Comment

art

I have a number of my pieces in a computer file and I can send them for posting;actually,a lot are just closeups of the centres.Anyone interested?

Comment

The Oldenburg House Order was, I think, probably the most THOROUGH decoration in Germany, with grades foor everybody, and no awkward "in betweens" like most of the other states.

Here's a Merit Cross, not sure if the black iron class or the silver (there was also a gold) with swords-- still from Steven's hoard:
                          Attached Files

Comment

and a Merit Cross without swords.

Such versatility-- and all on the same ribbon!
                            Attached Files

Comment

EK with and without swords

These are both "Iron Grade" badges(technically,they ARE EK's ) ,one of which may belong to the group in the "Oldenburg:one ribbon for all" thread.Although,it might not as there are lots of choices-see the "couple of Oldenburg beauties" thread for more possibilities.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X