Cased Pour le Merite??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cased Pour le Merite??????

I have a small Imperial collection and no nothing about them and could really use your help!
    I bought this cased Pour le Merite at an estate auction sometime back. It was not sold as an original but a maybe? Didn't pay much for it. I have Stephen's book "Prussian Blue" and still I just couldn't tell if this is a nice copy or?
    Thanks for your assitance, I greatly appreciate it!
    Greg

006.jpg

Pic obverse

024.jpg

Comment

Reverse

035.jpg

Comment

Case

004.jpg

Comment

Last Pic
          Thanks!!!

001.jpg

Comment

Greg,

Does your example have any markings?

While this looks similar in appearance to a Wagner, it is very different IMO. The eagles have no space between the legs cut out (the biggest warning sign on these), the placement of the tail feathers and the arrangement of the letters, the location of the F under the crown all speak to this not being a Wagner.

Further, while I've seen no hard evidence who might actually make these, they have become associated with the term 'Spanish Fake' due to the style, and the firm Cejalvo, an old Spanish court jeweler still in existence today, as a possible maker. A query on 'Spanish Fake' and 'Cejalvo' will turn up much discussion on these. They are often fraudulently marked with Godet markings, making them even more suspect due to a complete lack of Godet shape.

Still, if obtained cheaply, these are eye appealing gap fillers until an authentic one can be found. Below is an example of two different styles. Steve
            Attached Files

Comment

Great, easy to follow analysis on this piece! Very helpful!

The "Prussian Blue" Book steps it out via photos and text quite readily also. I don't know how all you seasoned PLM collectors started off collecting these years ago, before this book came out, with all the great photos and examples to compare.

I watched some poor soul on eBay US pay in excess of $1,000 for one just like this, quite a number of months ago. And one could easily see the legs/tail area being solid and not cut out, just like this one.

Alan

Comment

Thanks so much Steve. Wow you make it easy. I could not find any markings on it at all which in going through the Stephen's book of course was a big red flag. I didn't buy it as an original but the older gentlemen who owned it and passed away was a WW 1 & 2 vet. They didn't represent it as orginal. But I liked the patina, look and fitted case.
                I thought the legs of the eagle & the hanger were somewhat similiar to a "Godet" style.
                But it has all the traits of a Spanish w/fitted case.
                You're a champ!
                Thanks,
                Greg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X