A Study of the Rothe Style PlM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Study of the Rothe Style PlM

The purpose of this thread will be to inform collectors about the basic characteristics of Rothe Style Pour le Merites and to create a repository of these types of PlMs for readers to view and study.

The focus will be on 1914-1945 pieces. It should be noted that very few Austrians were awarded the PlM and that vended items to recipients in the TR era would be quite rare as well. Consequently, nearly all Rothe style PlMs that appear today are fake. Still, it is certain that Austrians were awarded the PlM and that Rothe produced some examples as a jeweler during the awarded and TR period.

I want to be respectful of pictures that have been sent to me before from many of you and will credit all of you with your pics that I post to the extent that I know them. I will post nothing that I have not been given permission to use if the owner is known. I will correct any pics that do not give proper credit. I also hope collectors on this forum will post what they believe to be genuine Rothe type PlMs here even if they have been posted in older threads. The idea is to gather them here for a single point of study.

History of the Rothe Firm

My research on the firm of Rothe reveals the following.

Christian Friedrich Rothe originally came from Altenburg in Saxony. In 1834 at age 17 he came to Vienna and entered into a goldsmith studio in the Waldschnepfenhaus on Gumpendorfer Street. He successfully led the studio to independence and took it over in 1844.

In 1849 he found great opportunity and moved the firm to a new Vienna address: Kohl Markt 7. It was here he developed his goldsmith skills into a fine art. Around 1850 his nephew Anton Otto Gerbitz entered the enterprise, whereby Mr. Rothe changed the firm’s name to “C.F. Rothe & Neffe.” A second nephew, Heinrich Emil Rothe, joined the firm in 1867 and together these men established the Rothe firm as one of the premiere jewelers and orders manufacturers in all of Europe.

Famed sculptor and artist Anton Dominik von Fernkorn is said to have stated that Rothe must have crafted the lost treasure of Nibelungenhort. This was in reference to Ernst Raupach’s epic Nibelungenhort, where the hero Hagen orders a vast treasure sunken because of its temptation and beauty. Rothe’s stock continued to rise. It was Rothe that set the diamonds into gold on Austrian empress Elisabeth’s crown and Rothe likewise made Sofia’s large pontiff cross.

Fortune smiled as a result when in 1855 Emperor Franz Joseph I appointed Rothe as one of the state’s chief goldsmiths and in 1868 the firm was granted the privilege of producing all major royal chamber orders. In the course of the time Christian Rothe received orders for royalty and royal orders all across Europe.

With Christian Rothe’s death in 1892, Anton Otto Gerbitz was named successor. After his death in 1908 Heinrich Emil Rothe led the enterprise followed by his son Rudolph Ferdinand. Emil Adalbert Rothe suddenly found himself in charge of the firm after the untimely death of his father in 1938. During the Second World War the business nearly came to an end. However, the firm had been spared from major bombing and it was possible to continue orders and medal production after 1945.

Since gaining Franz Josef’s favor, the Rothe firm produced all the official Orders of the Golden Fleece, the Austrian Empire’s oldest and highest order. It produced many of the most prestigious and important Habsburg orders. With the decline of Austria as a world power, and with the wane of royal orders and decorations, Rothe ceased most production of wartime awarded and royal house orders in 1991 due to their extreme expense in craftsmanship.

By 1999, Susanna and Elizabeth Rothe, both skilled goldsmiths, managed the firm. Business shifted to the production of high-end pearl and gold jewelry as well as traditional orders and hunting awards. In 2005 the business closed after more than 150 years. Their collections, tooling and machinery were entrusted to museum collections.

Despite the rich history, little is known of their Pour le Merite production. Given that 14 Austrians were awarded the order in World War I, it is highly likely that Rothe made copies the award, especially since Rothe was the court jeweler of Austria and many were royalty that received it.

To date, I have yet to find a marked Rothe example. Examples found are unmarked. Awards attributed to Austrian recipients, such as von Bojna, are unmarked gold examples. Even von Bojna's award (found in Prussian Blue, pp. 260-263) is a unique singular design that follows no standard pattern. It is truly a one-of-a-kind, likely made by Rothe but not in the design attributed to them. Rothe is purported to have made the last (unofficial) issued Pour le Merite in 1964 for Theo Osterkamp in recognition for being named Chancellor of the Order. The medal had the 50-year crown attached to the ribbon above the Order. I cannot find a picture of this award.

Characteristics

I will begin by covering the basic characteristics of the Rothe-style PlMs produced from the 1914-1945 period.

The Pie-Shaped Wedge. The ‘pie-shaped’ wedge at the top of the cross that held the ribbon suspension ring is stippled like the Godet. I have yet to see what I believed to be an authentic Rothe that had any kind of mark on the wedge.

The Crown and F. The Crown is very detailed similar to the Godet in scoring but similar in shape to the Wagner crown. It has distinct ‘gaps’ between the spars and jewels above the band. The ‘F’ extends to the right base of the crown as well. The crown top and jewels are ‘chased’ with ‘dots’ by the jeweler to enhance it with engraving marks on the details. The band is chased parallel and the crown opening is chased both parallel and perpendicular.

Scored Letters. ‘Scored’ or engraved ‘chase’ marks along the details of the letters by a jeweler marks all of the lettering. This ‘chasing’ provides very handsome detail unlike Wagner and some later Godet PlM styles. Unlike Godets, the scoring is in a distinct ‘Ladder’ pattern.

Narrowed Center and flat shaped Maltese cross. Like Godet crosses, the Rothe has a very thin ‘waist,’ measuring only about 1mm and sits slightly off center. It is also more squat and flat shaped with less angle on the end of the ray arms, like Godet but unlike Wagner.

Cockaded, Open Beak, Fishbone-tailed Eagles. The eagles have a distinctive ‘flat top’ or ‘cockade’ on the heads like a Godet. Their beaks are also open. True PlMs have the eagles facing the center of the cross, no matter where positioned, rather than mounted in clockwise fashion as seen on some fakes. The eagles are almost a blend of the Godet and Wagner styles. The wings resemble the curved Wagner but the heads are like Godet. Rothe feet, similar to Godet, are prominent and have wedge-shaped legs rather than the rounded ‘drum stick’ shaped legs like on the Wagner style crosses, although the knee caps are similar. The tail feathers are formed by five feathers—two sets parallel and a bottom feather. Unlike Godet and Wagner, these tail feathers are cut out and appear similar to a ‘Fish bone,’ making them the most obvious feature of the cross.

Special thanks to Barry Turk at eMedals for use of the pics of what I believe to be one of the few authentic and period Rothe-made PlMs. It was believed to have been made in the 1930s.

More to follow, Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by regular122; 10-26-2009, 03:01 PM.

Detail of the Eagle
    Attached Files

Comment

Overall features of the Obverse.
      Attached Files

Comment

The scoring of letters and crown
        Attached Files

Comment

The Oak Leaves and Pie Wedge. Oak Leaves would be the norm for an Austrian recipient as 9 of the 14 were also awarded the Oak Leaves.
          Attached Files

Comment

Ribbon loop, Oaks and wedge.
            Attached Files

Comment

For photographic evidence, even finding an Austrian wearing the Rothe award is rare.

Most of the photo research seems to show the Wagner style awarded pieces in wear, such as in the picture of Alfred Krauss below. What it does indicate though is that the recipients wore German made issued crosses, making Rothe's role in the PlM lore even more scarce.

Here is a list of the 14 recipients of the Pour le Merite. and asterisk indicates Oak Leaves:

Franz-Josef I *
              Archduke Karl Franz Joseph *
              Arthur Freiherr Arz von Straußenberg *
              Dr. Karl Bardolff
              Eduard Freiherr von Böhm-Ermolli *
              Svetozar Boroeviç von Bojna
              Count Francis Conrad von Hötzendorf *
              Hermann Köveß von Köveßháza *
              Alfred Krauß
              Archduke Eugen *
              Archduke Friedrich *
              Archduke Joseph August *
              Rudolph Popelka
              Alfred Freiherr von Waldstätten

Alfred Krauss, wearing what appears to be an issued Wagner.
              Attached Files

Comment

More Austrians with PlMs in wear. From Left to Right, Top to Bottom:

Dr. Karl Bardolff, Eduard Freiherr von Böhm-Ermolli, Archduke Friedrich

Hermann Köveß von Köveßháza, Arthur Freiherr Arz von Straußenberg, Archduke Joseph August

Unfortunately, the detail is so lacking that it is impossible to tell what type they are wearing. Should anyone have better pictures or pictures of the Rothe in wear, please let me know. Steve
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello regular122,

Thank you and congratulations on an excellent presentation.

I would like to ask a question that I have long wondered about regarding Rothe PLM’s. Since the awarding of the PLM was done through, by, in the name of, etc. Kaiser Wilhelm and the Kingdom of Prussia, was the actual badge not provided by them? Is there anything that supports the fact that Austrian recipients received pieces made by an Austrian, in this scenario Rothe, jeweler?

If this is the case, who would have made the badge for Tsar Ferdinand of Bulgaria?

Or Enver Pasha of Turkey?

Indeed, the picture in post #7 may provide the answer; and if that answer is what I suspect it could be, where does that leave the Rothe PLM’s? Wearing copies made by a well known jeweler? Made until quite recently, I might add.

Just wondering.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Card View Post
                    Hello regular122,

Thank you and congratulations on an excellent presentation.

I would like to ask a question that I have long wondered about regarding Rothe PLM’s. Since the awarding of the PLM was done through, by, in the name of, etc. Kaiser Wilhelm and the Kingdom of Prussia, was the actual badge not provided by them? Is there anything that supports the fact that Austrian recipients received pieces made by an Austrian, in this scenario Rothe, jeweler?

If this is the case, who would have made the badge for Tsar Ferdinand of Bulgaria?

Or Enver Pasha of Turkey?

Indeed, the picture in post #7 may provide the answer; and if that answer is what I suspect it could be, where does that leave the Rothe PLM’s? Wearing copies made by a well known jeweler? Made until quite recently, I might add.

Just wondering.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

That is the big question Wild Card on Rothes. They seem to not be regarded as a 'manufacturer' per se and have been more commonly regarded as a jeweler who perhaps produced them during the period but more likely up to 1945. They were certainly never officially issued to Germans and it is unlikely even to an Austrian. Purchased by both from 1918-1945? Likely.

King Ferdinand's cross seems to fit the Austrians pictured here and also your discussion that German-made pieces were given to foreign recipients. As best I can tell, his cross is a gold example Wagner with Oak Leaves. He did like his medals to be quality.

Rothe however was the main court jeweler for Franz Josef. I have yet to find a decent pic with him wearing his PlM although is relatives appear with them. As Rothe made some of the most prized and treasured items for the royal family, it is not without possibility they made them for Austrians to purchase, much like Godet continued to offer them after 1916.

As to Rothe producing awards from Germany, there is ample evidence to suggest they produced EK Is during the war. Granted, much more common, but they did appear to make them. So, in the sense that Rothe could and did produce a foreign award, yes they could and did. Did they produce wartime PlMs? That is the question.

If Bojna's cross was produced by Rothe and it was indeed made in 1917, then that might be the key. It is likely that it was produced during the war as he died in 1920.

Another PlM purported to be Bojna's resides in a private collection and it looks even more like the traditional style Rothe. I cannot remember off the top of my head, but it seemed like they acquired it from the family who had the awards replaced in 1931 due to all of Bojna's valuables being stolen when he became a citizen of Yugoslavia after the war. That's the story anyway. His award was offered on Hermann-Historica's auction. A pic is below.

I tend to regard most Rothe style PlMs as fake. I include them in this study because authentic ones were indeed made between the 1914-1945 period. Sifting through the real ones is tough because so few seem to have any provenance. If members can check their photos for Austrian recipients and see if there is a Rothe style match, or even TR era photos please post here!

A great question Wild Card and one I hope to have addressed a little bit. Steve
                    Attached Files

Comment

[quote=regular122;3580183]For photographic evidence, even finding an Austrian wearing the Rothe award is rare.

Most of the photo research seems to show the Wagner style awarded pieces in wear, such as in the picture of Alfred Krauss below. What it does indicate though is that the recipients wore German made issued crosses, making Rothe's role in the PlM lore even more scarce.

"wearing the Rothe award is rare"

Your words. Non-existant is different than "rare." If something is "rare" that implies it does exist. Can you -show- or tell us where there is documentation that demonstrates there -are- photos in existance that support your contention these photos are "rare" (or in otherwords, they exist)?

Elsewhere, you state as fact, Rothe's PlMs were made and worn between 1918-1945. What is the factual information you base that claim on? Most of what is presented as "fact" appears to be little more than dressed up speculation.

Consider this:

"Remember that the burden of proof is on the person alleging the existence of something. If someone tells me that the Easter Bunny is hiding in somebody's clothes closet somewhere in North America, there is no need for me to search every closet on the continent. The person making the claim has to produce the rabbit or stop wasting my time."
                      - Frank Zindler -

You're making the claims, I'm asking for you to back up your statements so they can at least be fact-checked as to where you got your information.

Your making claims. I'm asking what the basis is for your commenting Rothes were made and worn before 1945, when so far, no one has produced substantiated and solid documentation to establish your contention.

Comment

Originally posted by regular122 View Post
                        Rothe is purported to have made the last (unofficial) issued Pour le Merite in 1964 for Theo Osterkamp in recognition for being named Chancellor of the Order.
                        Steve, would you mind to remove this sentence?

If I recall there were yet some discussions about PlM oaks "awarded" in the 60s, that you seem to remember. You're still ignoring there was no "chancellor of the order", but just a chairman of a very privat club. They could not award an order, but just a badge that looks close. Fine difference. Official state award versus club badge. And no chancellor.
                        sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Originally posted by saschaw View Post
                          Steve, would you mind to remove this sentence?

If I recall there were yet some discussions about PlM oaks "awarded" in the 60s, that you seem to remember. You're still ignoring there was no "chancellor of the order", but just a chairman of a very privat club. They could not award an order, but just a badge that looks close. Fine difference. Official state award versus club badge. And no chancellor.
                          Unfortunately, I cannot edit posts now with the new rules. I have no problem with chairman of the association, etc. But I use the term because that is what the veterans used and offer Christiansen's certificate as reason for the use of the term. Please note 'Der Ordenskanzler' at the bottom. I defer to your native knowledge of German.

I also stated that the Rothe award to Ostercamp was purported and I could find no photographic evidence of this award to date. Appreciate your comments as always. Perhaps we could even explore a thread on the PlM veterans' associations and I would welcome your help. Thanks, Steve
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by regular122; 10-27-2009, 05:48 PM. Reason: Document

Comment

Les,

In each post above, I say 'possible,' 'likely', 'purported' etc. and offer Bojna's award as something that points to a possibility. I am not the only one that thinks Rothe may have had some involvement with the award between the wars. I say finding a photo of an Austrian wearing the award is rare because to date, I have seen none. Might one yet still be found? I don't know. It may be possible.

I make it quite clear that Rothe PlMs are suspect by nature. The purpose of this thread is to explore the possibility of their wear and manufacture prior to 1945 and I have discussed the things that might lead to that possibility above. I also ask and solicit help on this search. It would be insightful either to confirm or deny this as Rothe style pieces have swindled people for thousands over the years. I stay away from them because of that.

Still, many questions are routinely asked about Rothes, and I wanted to include at least the basics in identification of the shape and type, the VERY small numbers that might even qualify in the search and the unlikelihood of Rothes being awarded. I cannot prove they were NOT awarded, but it seems to me unlikely given the Wagner types in photos of Austrian recipients found to date.

Given Rothe's manufacture of other German awards, the Bojna piece and one purported to be a replacement from 1931, a possibility of private purchased Rothe manufacture from 1918 to 1931 is to me at least worth exploring. I hope this thread may contribute to that discussion, if even to confirm or to deny. Steve

Comment

Thaks Steve, you're right and they called theirself indeed "Ordenskanzler". Still funny... but stranger things happened.

By the way, the shown document does not at all mention the oaks. It's just a congratulation for being awarded the plm 50 years ago. Usually, those plm winners who had it for 50 years before 1918, then got the oaks. This club might have given out oaks as well, but didn't even mention it on the document.
                              sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X