Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 EK1 Opinions Wanted

Hello

Could you please let me have your thoughts and comments on this WW1 EK1. Three piece construction with iron core. I'm assuming that this one will date from the the late 1930's or perhaps just into 1940 (?) I base this on the very, very early WW2 EK1s that are identical to this one, except with a WW2 core - the so called Schinkle style.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate your comments on this one. Sorry about the photos but they are the only ones that I have at present.

Many thanks

Regards
    David
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DavidM; 10-26-2009, 04:46 AM.

Front
    Attached Files

Comment

Rear view
      Attached Files

Comment

Another rear view
        Attached Files

Comment

Hinge plate
          Attached Files

Comment

David, you are correct. A late 30s early 40s cross. Given the frosting on the frame I'm leaning towards early 40s.
            pseudo-expert

Comment

Thanks Don

Comment

I'd agree, a nice probably 30s or earliest 40s example with a round-wire catch. They can also be found with flat-wire catches, as on 1939 Schinkel and Round 3 EK1s with similar hardware.

Regards
                Mike
                Regards
                Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                  I'd agree, a nice probably 30s or earliest 40s example with a round-wire catch. They can also be found with flat-wire catches, as on 1939 Schinkel and Round 3 EK1s with similar hardware.

Regards
                  Mike
                  You're correct that the reverse hardware on the Round 3 EK1s is similar, but not the same (which is what we look for), as these nice Deumer piecces.

Here is a traditional reverse of a Deumer piece, identical to the one shown here in this thread:

And here is the Round-3 reverse:

Also of note, of course, is that the latter hardware can not ever be encountered on a Schinkelform EK1.
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Hello

Many thanks for the replies, all are much appreciated

So it is a Deumer then. I suspected that it might be but was holding off on that until it's in my hand and I can examine it properly.

Looks like you have a couple of nice EKs there Trevor.

Regards
                    David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
                      Looks like you have a couple of nice EKs there Trevor.
                      Thanks David,

I do have a Deumer as shown, but that particular example is not mine. That one is a 1939-series Schinkel and may be seen HERE.

HERE is the Round 3.

And yes, most believe your EK is a Deumer, same frame and core as the screwback you recently showed.
                      Best regards,
                      Streptile

Comment

Hello

The EK has now arrived, and here are a couple more photos of it. The cross is of three piece construction, but the core isn't actually magnetic, so I assume it's not an iron core but some sort of non ferous material. The cross measures 43.35mm x 43.30mm.

First up, the front view.

Regards
                        David
                        Attached Files

Comment

Rear
                          Attached Files

Comment

Side
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DavidM View Post
                              the core isn't actually magnetic, so I assume it's not an iron core but some sort of non ferous material.
                              Yep, these are known to have been made in non-ferrous also. The Deumer Schinkel 1939 EK2s also came in non-ferrous, so they obviously were striking them as such in WW2.

I'm glad you brought this thread back up as I have to make a correction to an earlier statement. I said: "Also of note, of course, is that the latter hardware can not ever be encountered on a Schinkelform EK1," in reference to the R-3 hardware shown above, but then, the next day, I saw one for the first time.

You have a very nice cross there, David
                              Best regards,
                              Streptile

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X