Wwi box lot, fresh off the press!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wwi box lot, fresh off the press!

Hello folks. Just in from an estate buy and what a nice one at that...Man's granddad was in the American Ambulance Corps in WWI...Came home w/ a trunk w/ his helmet, French gas mask and cannister, another "hood" type gas mask, (which I just found out is a rather rare French M2, often issued as a back up to US troops), M1917 helmet c/w all lining & straps, Ambulance Corps medal, and lastly, a very nice Prussian EM / NCO Pickelhaube (Guards, I believe). The Pickelhaube appears unissued, w/ no signs of wear whatsoever on the lining. Other items included two unit histories, a US Serviceman's photo locket, photos taken in the field of ambulances, tanks, wounded, shelled buildings, etc...I was quite pleased!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Milton; 08-19-2009, 08:26 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Milton

What a cool find. congrats!!

Russ

Comment

That's a great box of goodies---Well done

Comment

GREAT score, i would have LOVED to have talked with the vet

Comment

Great find and congrats. Still, what a shame that people actually give up their family heritage. I've tried for years to find the engraved trio medals to go with the artifacts an ancestor had on him when he was killed in action in France. They were separated from the group by a family member years ago.

Good for you though. At least it will be preserved. I told my kids if they ever do that to my personal medals and war souvenirs from my own service, my ghost will come back to haunt them all. Steve

Comment

You're right Steve. It IS too bad that these things end up leaving the family. Granted, as collectors we're always thrilled to come up w/a named medal grouping or the like, out of the woodwork, but it's still a bid sad that they don't mean more to the families that part with them. Still, however, I can understand why it happens, as not everyone is as "tuned in" to history as we collectors tend to be, and once the ol' trunk of "junk" moves from the proverbial sock drawer, to the closet, to the basement, to under the stairs, etc..it just becomes time for them to clean house. Most I've encountered, are simply satisfied to know that the items will go somewhere where they'll be appreciated, and for most of them, that's enough. Thanks for your comments!

Comment

Yee Ha!!
                That's a GREAT haul.

Congrats. The Ambulabce service medal is wonderful.

reg.122-any chance you've put a "seeking the following medals to" on the OMSA site? Lots of people search this way and google tends to pick up OMSA name requests as a first or second hit. The OMSA site seems in perpetuity.
                Also, the US site (but i think I see you there).
                By the way-THANKS!!!! for the Hougemont photos. I'm still working on resizing them.
                I owe you one.

Comment

Originally posted by McCulloh View Post
                  Yee Ha!!
                  That's a GREAT haul.

Congrats. The Ambulabce service medal is wonderful.

reg.122-any chance you've put a "seeking the following medals to" on the OMSA site? Lots of people search this way and google tends to pick up OMSA name requests as a first or second hit. The OMSA site seems in perpetuity.
                  Also, the US site (but i think I see you there).
                  By the way-THANKS!!!! for the Hougemont photos. I'm still working on resizing them.
                  I owe you one.

I have not. The veteran's name, Frank David Chamberlain, was my great grandfather's brother. Here is a link to him on Canada's Virtual War Memorial.
                  He was a Private, 3106616, Coy C, 58th Battalion Canadian Infantry (Central Ontario).

Steve

Comment

Wonderful items and great provenance. Congratulations!

Chip

Comment

Thanks Chip. Not quite sure about the previous two posts...I think those gents might have me mixed up w/ someone else....?? Anyway, yes, I'm very pleased w/ these items and am keeping my fingers crossed that I may yet come up w/ his uniform. Milt.

Comment

Milt,
                        A wonderful group!! Is the medal named?
                        Thanks

Comment

Thanks, no it's not, but I've got the vets name and unit histories, etc.

Comment

Great grouping I would love to see some photos of the rare French gas mask . Cheers Rob
                            God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                            X