MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where WW1 medics classified is non-combatents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The holster, which has been with the pistol since before it left Europe, is an officer's private purchase type.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nicely marked inside the lid. The doctor was Dr. August Alber whom I suspect survived the first war.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by GWA; 08-19-2009, 03:52 PM.

Comment

thanks again for showing ...

Comment

Wow! Very nice Lugers and with nice history to them. Adds some 'color' to the discussion on the photo and the life of medics and docs. Steve

Comment

spiffy pic torsten!

H Raye, the creator of Curious George (the much beloved monkey) served in this type of unit. He got an EK2 and was Jewish.

For those of you who do not know (newer collectors):

Many people think that the noncom EK2 meant "noncombatant service". This was true in 1870, but NOT in 1914. 10,000 out of 13,000 noncom EK awards were to civillians. Where one sees papers to noncom EK2 awards later, I have noticed three things:

1. Most of the awards were made later (1917-1921)
            2. Most of the awards went to professional/offcier class types
            3. The VAST majority of these types of awards (but not all) were for "home front service " and given to people far away from the shells falling.
            The ONLY exception to the "home front service/civilian" catagory i have seen so far is a Train Inspector/Lt dL who served in Brussels and the Ukraine. I think he was a professional trains employee given a war time rank.

What is REALLY cool is that there are pictures of RED CROSS men in their blue uniforms (technically neutral civilians attached to the army) wearing Iron Crosses awarded for bravery.

Comment

Very very nice pistols and holsters. I love Imperial lugers especially unit marked. Fantastic examples.

Comment

Medic!

Just to reinforce a point, medics are allowed to carry sidearms for self-defense purposes (e.g., being attacked where the enemy forces show no signs of recognizing their special status). I cannot remember the name, but one medic in WW2 received the KC, for performing medic duties (huge number of battlefield "saves" and personal endangerment to go forward to recover/evacuate wounded). A battalion physician for, I believe, the I./Panzer-Regiment 35 also received the KC, but it was for the time when he actually commanded the battalion during a shortage of officers!
                Regards,
                Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X