Deschler PLMs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deschler PLMs?

I was reading "German Medal Makers and Their Marks" by Mark Woods and came acroos an interesting statement on page 123 which states:

"During WW! Deschler made:

Pour le Merite (Blue Max);
    Bavarian Military Merit Cross,
    the Turkish Star (halbmond),"
    and more items.

I sent the author a question about this statement and here is what he sent back:

"Glad that you found some use in the book.

Regarding the Deschler PLM, sadly I do not have any detail photos of their blue max.

I have been back to my original research papers to find out why I made this claim (memory gets worse with age!").

I am certain that they made the PLM as this was reported in an interview given by the last boss of Deschler - Mr Stillner.
    Mr Stillner is pictured at his display desk with the PLM visible and he definately says they made them.

Small extract attached. Sorry I can't be any more help than this."

Picture attched below.

Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    pseudo-expert

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
    Thoughts?
    I wonder if they made WW1 tank badges as well.................

Comment

Last edited by gregM; 07-23-2009, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Interesting discovery Don!

From the pointy little heads on the eagles (particularly top left) and the general wing curvature, I would bet money they were merely offering for sale the type we know as the "S&L" PLM.

Shame the resolution isn't better - a joined 'U & R' would pretty much seal it - but I am in no doubt it is the S&L version.

I blew up the picture as much as I could here.... DESCHLER.

A date on the photo would help of course..

Marshall

Comment

I'm GUESSING that photo is from the 70's.

Comment

Yes - someone may well be able to spot a medal on the table that dates the picture more accurately than the very 70's looking dude in the photo.

Marshall

Comment

I'm not aware of any orders(!) that were made by Deschler during WW1. I hardly doubt they made any plm, even post 1918 or post 1945. The one on the picture indeed looks mostly like a StuL - I thought that initially, before reading others' opinions on it.
              sigpic

Visit www.woeschler-orden.de, updated each 1st and 15th a month!

Comment

Well, if the basis for the author's claim is the award on the table, then it certainly points to an S&L style. Hopefully the author can get to his notes. Very interesting indeed.

Don, did you pick up any more info about it on your trek to that show? Steve

Comment

Hi Steve. No new info. The author says that he interviewed Mr Stilner and that is who said that Deschler made PLMs. I doubt if he was around for first hand knowledge of this and may very well have been talking on the fly based upon the items shown in the foto.
                  pseudo-expert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X