No announcement yet.

Does this stand a chance of being good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prussian Order of the Black Eagle? (Schwarzer-Adler-Orden), established 1701, 407 only awarded. Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Black_Eagle . Cheers Terry

Comment

Hi Terry,

Actually this is the Star to the Order and probably should have put that in the title.

Thanks!

Gary
      Originally posted by tbk0000 View Post
      Prussian Order of the Black Eagle? (Schwarzer-Adler-Orden), established 1701, 407 only awarded. Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Black_Eagle . Cheers Terry

Comment

Well, I'd like a weight and measurement, but I am hopeful. I'd ask at gmic. I reckon the imperialists there would know. Wild Card?

Comment

Originally posted by McCulloh View Post
          Well, I'd like a weight and measurement, but I am hopeful. I'd ask at gmic. I reckon the imperialists there would know. Wild Card?

I have not commented on this star only because I am not exactly sure as to how accurately express my concerns; but I will make an attempt:

1. From the the time of the foundation of the order until 1918, many “style” changes took place. Metal stars of the early 1800’s differ greatly from those of post 1890 - 1900.

2. The policy of returning insignia to the Orders Chancellery upon the death of the recipient seems to have been especially strictly adhered to in the case of this order. Therefore, legitimate pieces that are “out there” generally fall into two categories.

A. Older stars, which were privately made and,

B. Newer, generally post 1890 - 1900 awarded stars to recipients still alive after 1918 who kept their awards.

3. The style/form of this piece reflects a post 1890 - 1900 influence; and, in my opinion, this is definitely not an issue piece of that period.

4. While I do not like the pin and catch on this star, I am especially uncomfortable with the center medallion. At the same time, for some reason, I find the body to be interesting. I know that I have seen this body style somewhere before, but have not been able to place it. Not only that, but I am pretty sure that I have seen this star, or one just like it before as well.

All in all, I would say that to buy this star, if priced accordingly, as a “filler” would be fine; but if you are looking for an issued piece, bide your time, they do come along.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X