Bavarian medal bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bavarian medal bar

The next two medal/ribbon bars came from Rick V. (thanks )

The awards are:

1. Bavarian Military Merit Order
    2. 1870 Iron Cross Second Class
    3. Prussian 1870/71 War Medal for Combattants
    4. Bavarian 24 Year Long Service cross
    5. Mecklenburg Military Merit Cross of 1870

Last edited by John Skandalis; 11-13-2003, 03:25 PM.

reverse

Comment

2nd bar

Comment

the other reverse

Comment

This small piece of paper says the name of the owner ( sorry, I cannot decipher it ) and date of his death, 1887.

Comment

Hi,

Anyone with a clue of what that name would be?

Comment

Since it is in Suetterlin I would need a better close up.
              Thanks

Comment

Rolf, this is as close as I can with my camera.

Comment

I am afraid this is too sloppy to be deciphered. There seems to be a mix between Suetterlin and standard print.

Comment

John!!! I have had those bars right here on my kitchen table... and only NOW looking at your SCAN can I read that

Freiherr von Pappus's FIRST name was Max

I don't have anything for someone who died that early. Chances are he was Max Freiherr von Pappus-hyphenated something, since there was at least a branch of the family later that was "Pappus und Trazberg."

I had never seen bars this early. They are made of a beautiful, obviously never tarnishing white metal alloy that I had not seen since before the Bundeswehr use of this or a similar alloy in the 1960s. I do NOT mean that I doubt the age or originality of THESE wonderful items, which came with another--and verified correct-- dead officer's name, same era.

When PRUSSIAN bars were horrors of nickled steel, hand snipped with razor sharp edges, notice that the Civilized Bavarians had neatly stamped bars.

The purely-ribbons bar, indeed, has raised edges stamped on the ends to protect the ends of the ribbons from wear: an idea that SHOULD have been universal, but was not.

I would be delighted to include these as PRIME examples in the updated Ribbon bar Article.

Comment

Pappus von Trazberg

That would be Hauptmann Max Pappus von Trazberg, Freiherr von Rauchenzell und Laubenberg. Awarded the Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Military Merit Order for Sedan and the Prussian EK2 for the Loire campaign. He was a Stabshauptmann in the Bavarian 1. Jäger-Bataillon.

Regards
                      Glenn

Comment

Glenn, Rick thanks for the information.

As for the Ribbon bar article Rick, I can send you more detailed photos of the bars.

Comment

Thanks very much John! These are just fine. My scanner wasn't working the day the League Of The Two Rickies met here... and we all know what Stogie-scans look like!

Now that you have the Baron's rank and unit, someone will turn up with Bavarian Rank Lusts that far back to be able to add his birth year, and promotion dates.

His version of the Bavarian Military Merit Order would have looked just like a "peacetime" one, since swords were not created until 1891-- 4 years after he died. Recipients from the wars of 1866 and 1870/71 were simply authorized to add their own for combat awards.

Comment

How in the world could you read that? What type of script is it?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X