Noncombatant EK2...1914

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noncombatant EK2...1914

Why are there only 47 non-combatant EK2s? Are they really that rare(with the ribbon and all) or just not that desireable? I know that in the modern military, 9-10ths of the military are the logistical support for the 10% who actually do the fighting. I would think that there would be far more noncombatant awards that noncombatants...

I hope that someone could shed some light on this topic.

Thanks
    Paul Reck

Paul,
    They are indeed quite rare and quite desirable. There were naturally far fewer non-combatant awards as it is harder to qualify for an award if you are not at the frontline. Just to give you an idea: there were some 5 million combatant EK2s awarded in WW1 ... and some 13,000 non-combatant ones.

Comment

The only thing that stinks is that all people need is the non combat ribbon to make them. How can one tell?

Thanks
      Paul

Comment

You cant, of course, unless the cross is on a medal bar (thats why mounted examples are far more desirable). With a non-mounted example the best you can do is determine if the ribbon is original or not, the crosses are of course the same.

Comment

Any idea?

Does anyone have any idea on how many of the roughly 13K NonCombattant EK2's were awarded to women? I have a mounted NC EK2 coming from Detlev that's on a woman's bow. It's paired with the Honor Cross for survivors/widows...

Comment

Don't forget that there were @6,000 "noncombat" merit EK2s on "black white ribbon" also.
            Nobody as yet knows about the WW1 status of women being awarded the EK. Some authors say NONE were authorized/allowed and certainly, nobody has yet published any documentation of a female WW1 EK award in any magazine articles or books.
            I have however, seen ONE 1918/19 photo (sold on ebay.de for an astronomical sum) of a Prussian nurse wearing the KVK (1916) ribbon AND a definete EK2 ribbon in her uniform blouse's button hole.
            I have seen NO references/documentation whatsoever anywhere regarding a female weiss/schwarz ribboned EK. I thought 10,000 of the 13,000 were given to civillians and post 1918.
            Given the number of noncombat EK2s I have seen (ok-only 5, but out of 23 total) that have Silesian Eagles on them, it appears that the noncom EK2 was awarded with some significant frequency for Freikorps medical/logistical support.
            Last edited by McCulloh; 11-03-2003, 09:30 PM.

Comment

You say that 6000 EK2s non-combat were issued with the standard combatant black and white ribbon? How can one even tell the difference...even with the documentation?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulMedic
                You say that 6000 EK2s non-combat were issued with the standard combatant black and white ribbon? How can one even tell the difference...even with the documentation?
                Thats the whole point: the only way you can tell these is if they come in a well-documented group, otherwise you would not be able to tell them from regular EKs. In some cases, if such an EK comes on a medal bar, you might be able to figure it out by looking at other medals, but I dont think it is worth paying more without substantial documentation. Dont you love this hobby?

Comment

Why would they issue it in that manner to begin with.... It just makes things more confusing that way!!

Comment

"black-white" noncombatant EK is down a couple of threads on this page

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=36223

As for women with WW1 Iron Crosses--

Fräulein Lonny von Versen received a COMBATANT ribbon EK2 some time by early 1915. Her photo in what seems to have been some sort of self-created semi-Red Cross (a tip of white armband shows) uniform shows it hanging from her overcoat, quite a closeup portrait but appalllingly crappy xerox I made at college in the mid 1970s. It came from "Die Woche," an illustated weekly magazine out of Berlin, page 446 of Number 13. I neglected to note the actual issue date, but from Famous Old Crocks celebrating birthdays on the same page, it was late March or April... 1915.

I have also read accounts in the journals of the Bund der Asienkämpfer of nurses decorated with the Iron Cross (unspecified) in the last horrific final rout of September-October 1918 through Palestine and Syria and Iraq, fighting to protect wounded from being massacred. I'd expect a fair if tiny number of "senior sisters" to have gotten "white black" war effort EK2s.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X