Earliest KO Marks on EK's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earliest KO Marks on EK's?

Anyone know when iron crosses began to be marked KO on the ring? I know this is a common mark on issue 1914's, but I have a very nicely made 1870 EK2 with 25 Year oakleaves with the KO on the ring. The cross has the typical KO shape to the arms, but has a very nicely detailed and aged 1870 core. I imagine it's a replacement piece made sometime after 1895.

Anyone else have a theory or have you seen KO 1870's?

--I do remember a thread dealing with 'MM'd `70 2nd's' a few months back and that the consensus was as you've surmised - give or take a couple of years. Anyone else remember the thread I speak of?

Comment

I was once offered a 'centenary' KO marked 1813 EK2 which was sewn on a large rosette by a friend in Germany. If I recall correctly, the Royal mint (KO) was in Stuttgart and didn't start manufacturing EK's until the early part of the 20th century. Am I right? Correct me if I am mistaken..

Comment

The KO mark as we all know if for the Royal Mint. From information in "The Iron Times" I don't believe that more that 3 firms manufactures the 1870 EK1, Wagner, Godet and Lauer. This may also be the case for the EK2. Which means that any 1870 EK2 marked KO is probable a post 1895 manufacture. I have not observed a 1870 EK2 mark with any manufactures mark.
        Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

It sounds like we all agree that issue 1870's weren't marked.

Can one of our members tell us when KO began making orders and medals?

Comment

After the outbreak of hostilities and the reinstitution of the 1914 EK. Fall/winter of 1914 is what I've been told.

Comment

Hi,

as I know "KO" stands for "Koenigliches Muenzamt, Abteilung Orden, Stuttgart" = Royal Mint, Medals Department, Stuttgart, which was in the kingdom of Wuerttemberg.

Best regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X