• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reverse.
    Attached Files
    George

Comment

I do have a very nice photo of the two different crosses side by side.
      I do not have permission to use it so I will send of an email to see if
      possible I can post it.

I can tell you that the cross posted in the begining of this thread looks
      like the common cross that many of use own. The other style cross
      has a smaller monogram and smaller dates. The cross is also different.
      There is a difference in the frames as well. The ones that we typically
      see have the small jump ring attached parallel with the frame (Knights
      cross style) while the other one is attached perpendicular to the frame
      (Ek2 style)

I will try to get permission to post a picture.

Comment

It's hard to tell if the core is indeed enameled or not from the pictures. It may be that the cross was laquered at some point i it's life. Pure speculation here without examining the actual piece in hand.

What we can tell with great certainty is that the frame assembly and beading details leave a lot to be desired when compared with known original Wagner or Godet examples.

Tony
        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Well it sold for 15% less than I expect a real one would. Hopefully the new owner will post it on one of the forums so we can check it out. Meanwhile, I'll keep my eyes peeled to see if they start popping up.
          pseudo-expert

Comment

Does anybody know where a nice original example of one of these crosses is currently for sale?
            Mark

Comment

Last edited by Montgomery Burns; 02-24-2009, 06:51 AM.

Comment

wel he's selling one

but i warn you about the price that wil be paid at the end .

and I can know

http://www.zeige.com/

regards kay

Comment

I own a classic women's service cross in the original box. The construction and execution of this cross as depicted, is up to period standards. I have to admit that the red cross is very different, as is the enameling, which is positively different, and even hard to tell if it is enamel or paint. The obverse though showing a slightly different crown, the materials and execution are sufficient evidence that this is an original cross. It is obvious that there had to have been two makers; these differences are simply a maker's varient. Historically, the Germans always tried to spread the work around, even during the second reich. I think it is an original.

Comment

The type shown here would be a third type or maker as it doesn't exactly match either of the two makers i am aware of.

Very curious.....

Don,

The 'paint brush ' marks you note may be stirations on the surface of the enamel left behind when the enamel was struck or polished down flat. Various grits of abrasives were used to cut down and final polish the glass enamel core. looks like this manufacturor stopped a grit level or two short of a totally flawless polish.

The engraved accent marks on the crown, W and the dates show a practised engravers hand as so not to flair the metal being engraved thereby chipping or flaking the adjacent glass enamel. The frame construction looks a bit rough on the edges but the work on the core is certainly not amatuer.

As previously mentioned this one would need better pics and to be examined in hand.

Tony
                    Last edited by Tiger 1; 04-27-2009, 03:13 PM.
                    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Verdienstkreuz für Frauen und Jungfrauen

Mrs and Miss, Ladies and Girls, Womens and Virgins, Wifes and Maidens, what the heck shall we call those small wonders? I'll use their christian name 'Frauen und Jungfrauen', no need to Anglify everything

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdien...und_Jungfrauen

How were the cores of these made exactly? First i thought they were struck in silver, coated with Enamel, sanded down to the edge of the silver details before engraving the details. Been "collecting" Crowns to make a comparising of the '2 or 3 types' and came up with 11 different cores!!! When comparing the numbers and AW i get the same result, it looks like they (as some already pointed out) were made individually and not struck? A true craftmanship and not an easy task for even a skilled jeweller i guess? Any comments? Those 'parts of pics' belongs to some forum members, hope it's no problem to use them like this.
                      Attached Files

Comment

No problem using mine

Comment

In the last update from Niemann No. 01588 was a new cross from the mystery typ. I collecting about 20 years prussian decoration and have never before see so a cross. Now I think we will see more from that typ. Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by RAO View Post
                            In the last update from Niemann No. 01588 was a new cross from the mystery typ. I collecting about 20 years prussian decoration and have never before see so a cross. Now I think we will see more from that typ. Regards Mike
                            Anyone have pictures of this one?

Comment

can it be the one from ebay ?

Comment

@ Kay
                                No, it's definitely a different piece. The crown is completely different from the pieces in this post

@ Greg

I like send you pictures, give me a email address.

Best regards Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 13 users online. 0 members and 13 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X