World War I Bavaria Bavarian Military Merit Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World War I Bavaria Bavarian Military Merit Cross

Hi guys and thanks for the great Welcome here. The medal bug has bitten me. Now before I was not interested in medals because I thought it a bit odd to collect medals I never earned but the gateway was I had to have an iron cross. I got one or two and now had the idea to decorate my helmet collection with medals. So really they are awards to my helmets for (Their) service in the great war! And not me!

I found this medal offered for 147.00 and sent the seller a counter offer of 30 dollars thinking he'd not even reply. Have no idea what it's worth but that price seemed high. He's sent me a counter offer of 58.00 dollars USD.

Is that a decent price on this award and what do you all think of the piece? Here is the seller's desciption and two photos. If the Ribbon is a reproduction I am not sure I'd be interested? As the years have gone by as a new collector I've become more and more of a purist.

Wilhelm

Description :
    World War I Bavaria Military Merit Cross. Not positive if the ribbon is original or not. The medal clearly is and was from the estate of a military collector. The medal and ribbon together measure 3 1/2" high.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PlaceOfBayonets; 11-25-2008, 03:50 PM. Reason: typo

back side
    Attached Files

Comment

Close up
      Attached Files

Comment

Bavarian Merit Cross -3rd Class w/ swords.

Looks perfectly fine. It's hard to tell about ribbons with digital photos. It looks orginal but you can ask if it is a replacement ribbon. One way to test is that modern ribbons will have a fluorescent glow under blacklight.

I can understand you purist stance on ribbons, I share your feeling as well, but sometimes collectors will "forgive" a modern ribbon if it's a hard ribbon to find.

The cross is good. I have recently seen them for around $50-$53 dollars, so $58 isn't terribly unreasonable. But that's up to you.

Note: Just to keep it in perspective, there is a higher rank of this merit cross with a CROWN that goes for 3x this price.

Comment

it looks good to me. this is a fairly common medal,and a price of $58 is pretty much in line . you might try ebay and see if you can find one cheaper.

Comment

I'll try that right before I confirm with the seller Oh wait it is on the bay LOL I will try another search however.

W.

Comment

QUESTION! Where can I get a reproduction ribbon for this award? I see one on ebay without a ribbon and between the two I'd rather buy a repro ribbon and know it while saving a buck then have to wonder about the originality of the one posted here.

W.

Comment

Hold out. These can be had cheaply with the case and a ribbon you will have no doubt about. With such a common and affordable medal, you should wait. Get a cased one.

Comment

I think I saw a cased one but they wanted 200 for it? Does that sound right?

W.

Comment

That's too much. These are still a real bargain. Half that price, and I've seen them cheaper.

Comment

My mistake. I did in fact see one cased for 95 pounds in the UK. I've searched the net high and low and have not come up with a better deal. As for a case I don't know if I want to pay the extra since I plan to hang them from the tops of my helmet stands as seen here in the photo.

W.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Clever display.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Card View Post
                          Clever display.
                          Aint it??? Just need a zip tie and an office paper clamp. Cut the tie strap to suit.

W.

Comment

BY the way I just bought the medal in question for 58 but shipping is free.

W.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X