Interesting photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting photo

This mans got a nice set of medals can anybody help with his regiment ?
    Thanks Mark
    Attached Files

close up of bar

nice bar bigger picture later
    Attached Files

Comment

more close ups

better medals
      Attached Files

Comment

bigger pis of bar

nice bar
        Attached Files

Comment

Not a military uniform, a students costume.
          He is member of a students corporation, called Burschenschaft or Corps or also only Verbindung.
          This Jacket (Pekesche) with this headgear (Tönnchen) and sword was worn on traditional studentical banquettes, called "Kommers" or "Kneipe" by three members of the presidium, the "senior", "consenior" and "fox-major".
          May be he is not an active student anymore but a "Alter Herr" and he wore the dress only for the photographer.
          These costumes are still in use and common in german studentic corporations until today, i have added a pic showing my wedding in 1989.

Regards
          CSForrester
          Attached Files
          Last edited by CSForrester; 11-18-2008, 02:03 PM. Reason: Pic added

Comment

...and a beautiful white dress you're wearing too -JUST KIDDING. (well, you didn't say what you were wearing.)

Very nice wedding photo and I'm jealous that I didn't have guys in uniform to pass under.

I might add, that the photo may be post-WWI. The FA 2nd class has a "in the face of the enemy" spange that were private purchase pieces.

And the subject gentlemen looks a little "old" to be even a recent student.

Comment

thanks

thank you for your replies is it common to get EKI,EKII and eqivilent oldenburg awards and were these awarded for the same acts of bravery? thanks Mark

Comment

Yes, the EKI, EKII and Oldenburg awards are relatively common. Even the Hamburg cross is the more common award of the three hanseatic cities, but that doesn't, in anyway, diminish his accomplishments.

The EKI and EKII would likely be for seperate acts of bravery, unless his act of bravery was so outstanding as to earn an EKI immediately. The Oldenburg awards have similar criteria.

If the award documents were available they would show the date of the awards and likely we would be able to determine if they were seperate acts of bravery.

Comment

Oldenburg Cross 1 and 2 and a Hamburg cross? My bet is ex navy jr. officer attached to the Marines in Belgium at some point.

NICE photograph. You are lucky.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X