• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About your flat back large IC ???

Originally posted by triggerguard View Post
    (Post 44)
    ... flag top on the left... is ... similar to the one
    in the museum page above in the thread. (Post 33)...
    What is shown "on the left" in my post 44 photo,
    is the weather cover bag cap decorated with a
    flat backside large Iron Cross. The flag rolled on
    the pole with the like size two sided flag top IC
    is inserted into the weather cover when not on
    parade review. When the flag is on parade the
    cover is worn by the flag bearer around his body.
    OFW
    (below) Flag cover with protective cap & the flag.
    (below-2) Flag cover being worn over bearers tunic.
    Again IMO your large IC is likely from a cap cover.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

You have a point... and certainly items not seen every day. Are the items your property? Is the cross with an iron core or is the cross minted or cast? If not your property, where might they be located? My box here certainly isn't of the shape or size to be any flag associated storage box I'd think. I am still convinced it was a liquor cabinet and I even found the shelf was upside down when I removed it for the trip to get x-rays and there was a bottle sized water stain like you find on the coffee table if you are not careful with your furniture... so the shelf is now turned upside right again. So the question for me isn't what the box is really, but still... what the cross is. We will figure it out! I have to find the paperwork that came with this box... maybe the fellow is still there and I can re-ask him what he knows about the box and it would help me.

Comment

A final comment ???

IMO your cabinet is not a "flag associated storage box",
        but rather it was just decorated with an ex-flag cover cap
        reworked IC or unused cap cover surplus large Iron Cross.
        Post #46a cover & flag whereabouts are unknown to me.
        ...................... OFW .............................

sigpic
        .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

You may be absolutely correct but I will scope it soon as it is still for me a question why it is silver... if it really is and why it may have had a ring on it... but you may indeed have hit the nail on the head. Thank you!

Comment

Take it to a metallurgist, have him test it.
            The 900(?) mark may be a clever way to hide an imperfection where a ring may have been...just supposing, I have no idea..,

Comment

Might be an idea but somehow I fail to see why someone would have done that. The marks where a ring might have been soldered to the cross are really minimal and taking that cross in the 1940's to some jeweler to have him stamp it over... or actually next to, some soldering residue that is hard to see... who would have done such a thing? Not some soldier in Poland, for sure. No one would have cared about it.

The thing still stares at me here on the wall as I type this and I would like to have an answer about what it is... But then again I have recently met a curator of a national museum who knows a lot of experts... and this interests thing him... so we will see if he can point me in a better direction.

If I get any more information I will post it.

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

The spot that are considered a welding spot for an EK ring, could it not have been a welding spot for attaching this EK to the flag pole top instead?

In one of the pictures from OFW, it seems that that could be a possibility?

/Flemming

Comment

I don't think so. If a cross were attached to a flag pole by a small ring... it would blow all over the place. It would have to be better attached than that. If there was a ring there, and I do think there was at one time, then the thing hung on a ribbon with that ring. Perhaps I will get more information soon as I am trying a different route too through other channels. Maybe... we will get an answer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X