No announcement yet.

The BEST in Mutti's Attic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking a bit in my ranklists and found some more Klingspors as Reserve officers.

1900 we have a Lt Klingspor in the Reserve of Infantry Regiment 116, he is not longer listed in 1906 and the following years.

1900 there is another in the Reserve of IR 135, 1906-1910 he is listed in the Landwehrbezirk I Darmstadt, decorated with Landwehr long service award 2nd class.

1914 we have 2 more Lts Klingspor, one in the Reserve 3.Badische Dragoner-Regiment and one in the Reserve of Feldartillerieregiment 58

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

Probably not related. The 'von' Klingspors were the related ones. Don't know of any von's who were in service by WWI.

Would be glad to hear of any however. But, I suspect not as the two boys were dead and the father too old.

Now here's an odd twist. Leo von Klingspor was assigned as an aide to the Austrian King while he was in Germany. In gratitude the Austrian King bestowed a Baron title upon Leo. However, Leo lived in Germany and did not want to be an Austrian baron... So, the title lay unused UNTIL somebody became bestowed with an Austrian 'von'. Now this newly bestowed Baron may have been a more common name and had the right to PICK an unused name, if he so choose. You have to admit, however beautiful the name Muller, it's rather common. Here was von Klingspor, so somebody took it.

As it so happened there was once a von Klingspor who became CEO of BMW. No relation, but, probably a relation to the person who was bestowed. Too damn bad, that's a relation I could have used.

So any Austrian von Klingspors, no relation to the German side.

Weird eh?
      Last edited by Brian S; 09-27-2003, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Brian,

Now this newly bestowed Baron may have been a more common name and had the right to PICK an unused name, if he so choose. You have to admit, however beautiful the name Muller, it's rather common. Here was von Klingspor, so somebody took it.
        Your Müller on being raised to the Austrian nobility added a further predicate after the original surname. In this case Müller von Klingspor

Anyway I found a couple of the von Klingspor family serving in the Austro-Hungarian Army, one Guido Freiherr von Klingspor born in 1859 and commissioned on the 1st of September 1879:

By 1901 he was a Rittmeister 1. Classe in the 7. Husaren-Regiment serving as a riding instructor at the Military Riding Institute in Vienna. Awarded the Military Merit Cross in 1902 he was the 2nd Adjuatant to the War Minister, Feldmarschalleutnant Heinrich Ritter von Pitreich by 1904. I don't have a Major's date at the moment but by 1909 he was the primary Adjutant to then war minister General der Infanterie Franz Freiherr von Schönaich having been promoted to Oberstleutnant on the 1st of May 1908. Promoted to Oberst on the 23rd of June 1911 by 1914 he was commanding the Military Riding Institute having been awarded the Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class. He assumed command of the 15th Cavalry Brigade in December 1914 which he led until May 1915 being promoted to Generalmajor sometime during this period. He then disappears from my sources.

And Artur Freiherr von Klingspor, formerly Müller von Klingspor, an artillery officer serving as an Oberleutnant (1 May 1896) in Corps Artillery Regiment Number 6 in 1904, as an Hauptmann (1 Nov 1905) in Gebirgsartillerieregiment Nr. 2 at Brixen in 1909. Promoted to Major on 1st December 1914 in Gebirgsartillerieregiment Nr. 8 and to Oberstleutnant on 1st November 1916. By 1914 he had dropped the Müller becoming just plain old Baron von Klingspor.

He was the eventual holder of the Order of the Iron Crown 3rd Class with War Decoration and Swords and the Military Merit Cross with War Decoration and Swords plus a Bronze Military Medal with Swords.

Regards
        Glenn

Comment

I'm glad they did the name well!

It does seem apropos that Leo's monarchical snobbery of the Austrian title cost him his name in Austria.

Rechtsempfinden

Comment

A bump up for Kur.7.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X