Pour Le Merite - How to Present here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pour Le Merite - How to Present here

I have reviewed the threads on this famous gem of a medal here and have caught some of the fine points of the 1957 fakes and enamel on eagles. I will be posting pictures in detail of my Pour Le Merite. It was purchased by my father in London, roughly 1966 or so (homage to the film perhaps) and marks well as either authentic or high quality fake.

Cuts between eagle legs are clean and clear.
    No loss of enamel on gold throughout and this is after several years of movement here and there too.
    Clasp between V is trim and small.
    Ribbon shows extreme age
    Enamel on the medal itself is occasionally, lightly clipped and chipped. No major loss though.

Question: Best photographs to present for group diagnostics - what do YOU want to see of it specifically?

My father had a fantastic collection - Order of Lenin, Victoria Cross, a few Medal of Honor, complete Iron Cross set from 1870 Grand through WW1 and 2, every American Campaign medal EVER. Sold it all for the signal book of the USS Chesapeake, war of 1812. We thought him crazy too.

Reisen55,

Welcome to the forum and the Imperial hang out. Send me a PM. Would be happy to post the pics for you. Steve

Comment

Originally posted by reisen55 View Post
      ... My father had a fantastic collection - Order of Lenin, Victoria Cross, a few Medal of Honor, complete Iron Cross set from 1870 Grand through WW1 and 2, every American Campaign medal EVER. Sold it all for the signal book of the USS Chesapeake, war of 1812. We thought him crazy too.
      Eh..????

Comment

My Medal identified

Steinhauer & Luck item - many thanks on the PLM thread for this information, fascinating read.

Here is a tale of the truly stupid: When I was in Seventh Grade, we had to make a metal cast of something. Lead cast. So I brought in this Pour Le Merite and spent about a week pounding the hell out of clay around it so I can get a very very secure and solid cast mold. GOT IT DONE and carefully brought the medal back home - and poured the lead. Believe it or not, my efforts worked as the medal came through intact. I painted it and it was a unique little thing, and also qualifies as the worst FAKE in the western world!!!!

Comment

Here is a pic of Robert's PlM. It is indeed an S&L, 1960s manufacture is the most likely date. Still, not a bad post 45 piece. Certainly not a throw away although nowhere near the value of an authentic pre-45 PlM. Thanks Robert for sending the pics and again, we welcome you to the forum. Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X