Tidbit about WWI "Hate Belts"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tidbit about WWI "Hate Belts"

I'm rummaging through my 20 years of Bund der Asienkämpfer magazines for Bernhard, and came across an interesting bit of information-- an account by a German taken prisoner during the collapse of the Palestine Front 21 September 1918.

On that date (which is the significant part), he reported being astonished at the "souvenir mania" among British troops, and remembers gawking in astonishment at their outlandish belts, festooned with buttons, cyphers, badges etc etc etc. (The Australians, on the other hand, robbed prisoners at gunpoint of watches, Iron Crosses, etc, while Indian troops were exemplary gentlemen.)

Now, I've always thought the term "Hate Belt" was a stupid one, but it is all I've ever heard these souvenir belts called.

BUT-- I had always thought that the sort of jumbled small bits and pieces one finds attached to them were stuck on by bored soldiers on slow troopships coming home after the war. This is the first time that I have ever seen first hand evidence that they were actually worn in the field, months before the war ended!

Interesting, Rick. The father of a family friend of ours was in the medical corp of the AEF. He was a real souvenir hound, bringing back German stick grenades, gas masks, bayonets, helmets, etc. He picked these up doing his rounds in the trenches and fields. Seeing his collection back in the '60's actually got me interested in Imperial collecting. I have some of his items, but unfortunately sold some back in the '70's when I was after the more glamorous Third Reich trinkets. Point is, we Americans were souvenir hounds as well.

Comment

I agree; the term "hate belt" has always seemed a bit strange. It would be interesting if someone could run down the derivation. I've tracked a couple of similar terms and typically it's not a contemporary reference. For example, while today we routinely refer to souvenir "pillow covers", they were rarely called that in W.W.I and II. Then, the term "sham" was the prevalent one. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the "hate belt" is a more modern collector's term or was a term used on the home front where people received them as souvenirs from the front.

Comment

It always struck me as particularly inappropriate when the souvenirs were--as they often are--those of ALLIED personnel, swapped button for button or whatever.

I never heard any other term though, and I "go back" to the mid-'60s.

Comment

Hate Belts????

I always found this term innapropriate, especially in auctions. You'll see these listed as German Hate Belt. The basic premise of these, as I understand it from some old feld-postes, is that the soldier would souvenir an article from his kill, when possible. If this is true, then the majority of these I see are Allied, as the devices attached are usually from German soldiers uniforms. I have only seen two that had a German Buckle, and French, American and British ranks, collar discs, etc. Personally, I find this item way too macabre for my tastes. Kind of like buying helmets with bullet/shrapnel holes in them. No thanks, way too gross for me. But, to each his own!

Comment

deluxe belt

There is a retired gentleman in my neck of the woods (early OMSA member) who showed me a 'hate belt' that he picked up from the local Salvation Army as a youngster prowling the streets and back alleys of the Pacific Northwest. It simply BLEW ME AWAY. It has several BAVARIAN Flight badges (with the cut-out crowns-- one pilot, the other a gunner) as well as a cut-out silver WB and an EK1
            (screwback). Not to mention many other tantalizing tidbits including buttons and cyphers from rare units. Wish I could post it. Someday perhaps I will.

Comment

Hi Guys,
              I have a super Hate Belt with the dates 1918 and 1919 spelled out on each end with shoulder board numbers, 10 or so assorted German rank discs, 20+ assorted German buttons, and two gold wound badges (one on each end) along with a standard Prussian buckle.
              Regards,
              Jody

Comment

Okay, I'll ask

If the Gold wound badge is awarded for total debilitation/death, how do they show up on a hate belt?

Comment

Hello,
                  Gold wound badges could show up very easy on a Hate Belt. Keep in mind the way in which wound badges were awarded during WWII was not the same as in WWI. During WWI they were awarded for the simple number of wounds.
                  Regards,
                  Jody

Comment

Hate belts existed on both sides of the trenches. I have seen late war German examples that had American, Canadian, and British insignia attached. Belts themselves were of obvious German origin complete with ownes' names, etc. in German.
                    I think the practice started as a sort of 'kill trophy belt' which deteriorated into a 'souvenier belt' towards the end of the war when the rear echelon wanted to fit in with the grizzled vets up in front. Sort of a 'Front Line Fashion' of the times. It is possible to trace an 'authentic' belt if it is dated on the back just by looking at the insignia on it and corrobating dates, times, etc.

Funny thing is: I have never seen an example with French insignia on it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X