GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Query concerning personal information on Knights of Iron Cross recipients early 1870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query concerning personal information on Knights of Iron Cross recipients early 1870

Any help on the posted subject would be greatly appreciated. I am researching my family ancestry and have obtained some information about my paternal great-grandfather. He was a Knight of the Iron Cross and a Lieutenant in the service of the Emperor of Germany in or prior to 1874. I am hoping to find a source of military records containing family information and thought that the records concerning this military service would be helpful to my family research. Any and all information on where I could find access to these records would be greatly appreciated.

My great-grandfather's name was Arwed Friedrich Richard Constatin Giersberg.

I anxiously await any and all responses to my query.

Sincerely,

Victoria

Victoria: since I am not only a military researcher but a genealogist (New England English only), I can tell you that you need to provide ALL the information you have: birthdate, birthplace, death date, death place.

How do you know he had an 1870 Iron Cross 2nd Class? Do you have the award document (which lists his unit and rank title?) Do you have a photo--in which case his uniform provides clues (yes, even the photographer's name and address sometimes helps).

You say he was a "Lieutenant" but that is the English language version. Was he a Sekondelieutenant, a Premierleutnant? was he Regular Army, der Reserve , or der Landwehr?

The Prussian Army published an annual Rank List showing all officers with their decorations. Unless two men with the same rank in the same unit had the same last name, first names were NEVER listed. This causes problems. In the 1890 issue, I find no less than THREE Hauptmann (Captain) Giersbergs. Lists before 1900 do not give rank dates for officers below Major, so there is no way to judge approximate age from the ranks. One might have been just promoted and 34, while another was languishing at 45 waiting for a Major's slot to open.

Only ONE of these three Captains Gierberg had an 1870 Iron Cross-- but you have not provided enough information. We do not know where YOU are. Many Germans emigrated to places like the U.S. or Australia--did your ancestor? Or did he die in Germany? You see, this leaves the entire planet to still "look" in, without focussing the search.

There IS information out there. The Giersbergs were a small but fairly substantial family in state service. I find a Joseph Giersburg, born Mühlheim am Rhein 1 April 1852, a Franco-Prussian war veteran (no Iron Cross), who retired as an Oberstleutnant in the eraly 1900s, but was recalled during WWI to serve as a Generalmajor, Commandant of the POW Camp at Darmstadt. He was still alive in 1926. Another Gierberg was a senior diplomat in the Imperial German Foreign Office. Other Gierbergs were reserve officers.

I find NO record, by name, of Arwed Friedrich Richard Constantin Gierberg, which is why I wonder whether he emigrated, or was a reserve officer who did not remain in the army as a career, or whether he was dead by 1880 and you have not provided enough information.

IF there is information out there, it can be found. certainly this is the place to ask. We are a network of somke of the most obscure reference sources ever printed! But we have to know WHERE to look and WHEN, and for WHAT.

More information is required! Rick

Comment

Virginia and the Giersberg family

Dear Victoria,

maybe we can exchange information as Arwed Giersberg was also my great-grandfather. My grandmother's maiden name was Marianne Jance Constance Giersberg. I have picture of Arwed with the iron cross draped across his chest.

Hoping to hear from you, although I do wonder if this will ever get to you.

Virginia

Comment

can you post a picture of your ancestor? If you would like to-please pm me and I'll take care of it.
        Thanks,
        JeMc

Comment

Virginia--please note that Victoria's post was in 2002. If you look at her public profile you will see that she only made 1 post and her last activity was in 2002.

Comment

unfortunately 2002

Dear gregM,

yes, I know. It was only a few weeks ago that I stumbled across Victoria's bulletin. And, being an old bat with no iron cross, I don't know how to contact her directly, although I think there's possibility via this website, but I can't figure it out. Can you help?

Virginia

Comment

McCulloh/Giersberg

If you can help me to contact Victoria personally...No, seriously, the photo is private. No offense.

Virginia

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X