Wurttemburg Wilhelm Cross Medal bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wurttemburg Wilhelm Cross Medal bar

Just recieved this two place medal bar with the Wurttemburg Wilhelmskreuz with swords and the Hindenburg cross. I belive thgis Wilhelm cross was not awarded in great numbers. What does everyone think?
    Attached Files

The rear.
    Attached Files

Comment

A better shot of the Wurttemburg cross. Why the 1915 on this one as opposed to 1914?
      Attached Files

Comment

A nice bar Steve, I have it's twin, almost.
        Attached Files
        pseudo-expert

Comment

Nice one Don. Any idea on the numbers awarded here?

Comment

The rear of the Wurttemburg cross.
            Attached Files

Comment

No idea on the number awarded but you seldom encounter them. Here is another one I have, this one without swords.
              Attached Files
              pseudo-expert

Comment

Originally posted by Don Doering View Post
                No idea on the number awarded but you seldom encounter them. Here is another one I have, this one without swords.
                I think I heard maybe in the 5000 or so range. Much rarer than an Iron Cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Campell View Post
                  Nice one Don. Any idea on the numbers awarded here?
                  According to Jörg Nimmergut, 5,329 were awarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Card View Post
                    According to Jörg Nimmergut, 5,329 were awarded.
                    Thanks. Is that for both the swords and no swords version? Where can I get that book?

How come this, and other similar medals that are very low in numbers awarded can be had so cheaply? That's less than so many other medals that go for way more yet are far more common. What would a TR medal that was awarded only a little over 5000 times go for?

Comment

Hi Steve Campell,

That is 5,329 with swords. The number without swords is 1,943.

Your point regarding the relationship between value and rarity is well made. This is a realization that has recently begun to come to light among Imperial German collectors. For starters, just compare the price of these medals to the prices of some 1914 2nd class EK’s.

The book which I referred to is “Deutsche Orden und Ehrenzeichen bis 1945”, by Jörg Nimmergut, which is actually a five volume set commonly called the “Magnum Opus” - a term first, and accurately, applied by Eric Ludvigsen. It does go over 2,700 pages.

As for availability, I would suggest that you start with Tim Eriksen - http://www.timeriksen.com/index.shtml.

Good luck and best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Thanks Wild Card. I'll look into it. It sounds like an amazing work. Something tells me it won't be coming cheap however. The reference to 1914 EK2s is another point. The 1939 EK2 is no rarer, is the same construction, does not have the real silver of a 1914, yet is at least twice as much in terms of price.

Comment

Yes, I suppose that you are right. I really do not know what the market prices are for Third Reich items; but you bring up another factor in pricing - popularity. Let’s face it, for a variety of reasons, Iron crosses enjoy a wide following (demand) among Imperial collectors; hence the seemingly disproportionately high prices.

There are other examples. In my opinion, Bavarian decorations are comparatively overpriced as well. At the same time, there are items which would appear, to me at least, to be underpriced. In the end, of course, most of this argument is based on personal preferences - which is to say that whatever you and I collect, it is overpriced....

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X