Help Medal Bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Medal Bar

To the friends of the Fórum, It would like the aid them friends in relation to this medal bar,

if it is original or it has some assembly and that type of service medal is this. Thanks.
    Pics:

Marks : DRGM

It's a nice looking Bavarian bar, but strange that it has a Prussian long service medal instead of Bavarian. Maybe at one time there was a 25 year Treudienst Ehrenzeichen on the end, and someone swapped it.

Comment

Bavarian Bar

Hello,

I am of the opinion that your bar is good.

I recently spent some time reviewing a nice 4 place Bavarian mount bar with both a Brunswick award and an Honor Cross on it. There is no doubt it was original and after some thought on the matter I came to this conclusion; whenever an Honor Cross is found on a bar it's been assembled no earlier than July 1934 and by then the recipient may have relocated to another part of Germany and no longer felt it mandatory (if he ever did) to get a mounting style from his homeland. Faced with a similar question about a bar, but without an Honor Cross present, the conclusions may well be different.

I should add that I have much to learn regarding these bars. Let's both now wait and see how others with more experience view it.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Thanks a lot for the information, and it would like that the friends fórum continued to give more opinions to it on the medal bar.

Comment

That blue is used for too many things to ever be sure. My instinct goes with what Vince said.

Comment

This style was used commonly all over Germany in the 1920s and 1940s. The metal tab back with hooks was common in the later 1930s & 1940s.
            The Prussian long service was awarded to men in imperial units as well as Prussians.
            The Bavarian MMc3x, given to lowly privates, was also awarded to Bavarian citizens serving in non Bavarian units. This might well have been the medal bar of a an Obermat aboard a ship somewhere, but more likely some sort of guy who ended up in a Prussian unit (think artillery, gendarmerie, train troops, signals,medical, quartermaster,fleigertroops, pioneers, marines). One thing is for certain-he got the long service medal after the war, as the Prussians stopped awarding LS medals in 1914. Either that or he was a war volunteer who somehow got classified as a regular in 1919 to get the IX-which was technically possible, but rather doubtful. Photos exist showing this combination. the combination is unusual and uncommon, but not rare.
            Upon demobilization in 1919/20 sometimes troops were given long service medals, at least on paper.
            The bar dates from 1935+. Odds are it was an SA/SA Reserve or other paramilitary type who wore it.
            Of course as stated above, with hooks -you never really know for certain.
            Last edited by McCulloh; 04-03-2008, 08:45 AM. Reason: clarify LS medal

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X