Hamburg Hanseatic Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hamburg Hanseatic Cross

There have been a good number of Hamburg Hanseatic Crosses on eBay lately, and most all of them have been in excellent condition. I decided to get one so first I did a search here and read a few threads about these crosses.
    I found out real quick there are lots of fakes and these near mint condition examples on eBay were likely some of them.
    I spotted this eBay cross and there were few bids on it. It's salty and couldn't compete with those slick shiney beauties but I thought it looked good. I won the bid...closing price...$37.99.
    Here it is, complete with 2 old enamel repairs on the 3 and 6 o'clock arms and a 9 o'clock arm that looks like it was sandblasted but was likely damaged from being on a medal bar. And the best part...the little castle in the center is tuning green from verdigris or some other sort of patination going on in there.
    I'd still like one of these in mint condition, but I'm still learning.
    What's your thoughts? Ammersee
    Attached Files

back...
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Ammersee,

The one you show is unquestionably real. There are fakes of these around, but don't dismiss one as fake solely because of condition. Originals of the Hanseatic Crosses can still be found in excellent condition. Look for the red, translucent enamel, visible striations in the arms of the cross seen through the enamel, and a separately applied center medallion. Green patina on these is a good indicator of originality as they were struck from tombak-bronze. Usually you will seen hints of the base metal, showing through the silver-plated finish. The fakes I have seen usually have inferior enamelling and the borders of the cross arms are too wide.

Best regards,
      Tom
      Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Hello Ammersee,

I think you're right that this particular cross was once mounted on a parade medal bar. In addition to the damage that you mention, the discoloration on the reverse cross arm looks like it was caused by a chemical reaction from contact with a medal made of iron. (Probably a Hindenburg Cross.)

Best regards,
        Tom
        Attached Files
        Mihi libertas necessest!

Comment

Thanks for the good info Tom. I'll keep an open mind on the nice ones I see in the future. Now take a look at the new thread I started with a couple of Lubek crosses. Ammersee

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X