Unusual White Enamel Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual White Enamel Cross

This is out of my field. Can anyone help me to identify and price?
    Thank you, Peter
    Attached Files

Johanniter cross???

Comment

Johanniter cross

Originally posted by TerryG View Post
      Johanniter cross???
      Hello Terry,
      Thank you for your comment, but can you tell me a little more about this cross. Why it was awarded...anything at all.
      Thank you, Peter

Comment

Order of Saint John

I'm no expert, but I don't believe this is a Johanniter cross. The Johanniter Order wears their crosses on a black ribbon.

Peter, Die Balley Brandenburg des Ritterlichen Ordens St. Johannis vom Spital zu Jerusalem (The Baillie of Brandenburg of the Knightly Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem) , commonly known as the Johnniter Order, is an order of chivalry, it isn't awarded like military awards, people must qualify for membership under the rules and have to be recommended by a member or members. The Johanniter Order is a Protestant German version of the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, called of Rhodes, called of Malta more commonly known as the Knights of Malta. The current head of the Johanniter Order, called the Herrenmeister, is Dr. Oskar Prinz von Preussen. They do charitable hospital/medical type work.

The Knights of Malta is a Catholic order of chivalry. It is considered a sovereign order in that it is totally independant from any particular country and is recognized by some countries as an independant state. The main corps of knights of this order, which is only a small part of the membership, are considered Catholic religious, kind of like monks, and take vows of chastity. The prince grand master of the order, HMEH Fra’ Andrew Bertie, just recently died and his funeral was yesterday, March 7. The commander of the order, Baillif Fra' Giacomo Dalla Torre del Tempio di Sanguinetto, is the acting head of the order now. A new grand master will have to be elected.

There are also recognized versions of the Knights of St. John in Holland, Belgium and Sweden. There is a very large version from Great Britain known as the Venerable Order of Saint John in the British Realm. Queen Elizabeth is the head of that order. The Venerable Order is famous in several countries for their ambulance service, The St. John's Ambulance Brigade.

Both the Knights of Malta and the Venerable Order have jurisdictions throughout the world and are very active here in the United States too.

Now that I've bored you to death with all that, there are also a large amount of fake orders of Saint John out there. I'm not saying this is a fake cross, but as far as I know all of the various recognized orders of Saint John use a black ribbon, not a red one. It might be possible it's a recognition for merit and not a regular knights badge, I don't know. Like I said, I've never seen one on a red ribbon.
        Last edited by Mike Dwyer; 03-08-2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I've never seen one on a red ribbon
          Me neither

There are a number of organizations that award similar to members that have NO official position whatsoever. You basically pay (not a small amount) for the Order, I've seen someone pay as much as $15,000. for a award with 'Diplomatic' passport that wasn't worth the paper on which it was printed
          Last edited by David S; 03-08-2008, 07:54 PM. Reason: crs

Comment

Pete,

I may have the case one for this if you get it.

Jerry
            http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

This is not a German Johanniter cross. I think that it might be related to the Knight’s (Order) of St. John or The Vatican.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X