WW1 Dogtag Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Dogtag Information

There is a german WW1 dogtag available locally, that I am considering, however i really know nothing about them. Does anyone have a photo of what one should look like, or at least a description, and some dimensions? What is a ballpark figure on one of these? Thanks, Steve

pics of my ww1 dogtag hope it helps

here are some pics of my ww1 dogtag.
    length wise its about 7cm
    height wise its 5 1/2cm
    made of steel alloy

named to oskar seifert born 2-26-1890
    unit--- falkenstein i/V. kornersk. 9 ----no clue about that unit

also its a larger oval shape than a ww2 dog tag pic of both together shows size diff.

hope this helps a little.
    joe
    Attached Files

Comment

height wise pic

height wise pic
      Attached Files

Comment

comparison pic w/ww2 dogtag

comparison pic w/ww2 dogtag
        Attached Files

Comment

backside pic

backside pic
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I'll compare with these pics, when I get home.

Comment

There were several patterns of identity disks used during WWI, so if the one you are considering is not just like the one that joeimwalle has shown, it may still be from the period. Normally, the unit markings are the best way to determine what era the disk is from. Of course, the birth date is a very good indicator. The metal can sometimes be very similar to that of later disks.

Chip

Comment

Thanks. The date looks good. What is a ballpark figure for these?

Comment

Price depends on the unit. If it is just a run of the mill infantry or artillery unit, $30 or less would be a fair price. You never know, however, how much someone would be willing to spend if the disk was from the same unit a relative served in or was from their home town, etc. I have seen these sell for close to $100 for rare or desirable units. Then there are the prices that you can only explain by the emotional reasons listed above.

I have quite a few of these. I like examples that are marked to field units. Many just have the training unit (Ersatz Bataillon) and are disks that were replaced once the soldier went to the field. One soldier could have many disks over the course of the war. I have a set from a staff officer that contains five different disks, each from a particular unit assignment.

Do you know the unit on the disk you are considering?

Chip

Comment

There was a lot of items so the dog tag only got a quick look. It's on hold for me so in a few weeks I'll have it and post it here.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X