Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9th bead fake

Hello all..
    I was wondering if any of you knew the history of the 9th bead fake found on the 1870 1st and 2nd cl. EK's? Where was it most likely produced? When did they start showing up, etc?

Anyone? Bueller? Farris Bueller? Anyone?

Comment

Try doing a search for 9th bead fake. There are several threads on them.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

Don,
        I did just that, but no one really approaches the subject of where/when they were introduced in the market. There are guesses that around 1960-70 they were "probably" produced. My main question is has there been any real research on it's origins? It seems that everyone categorically rules them as copies/fakes, but with what authority other than just the"feel isn't right"? Has anyone ruled out them being a jubilee variant? 1900+ private purchase? Don't want to be argumentative, only objective..Just curious and want to know.

Comment

Tegunn,

In my experience they started to show up in the market much later than the 60s or 70s more like the early to mid 90s. Too many of them glutted the market at once where there were none noticed before.

We need to remember that genuine 1870 EKs are scarce and original 1870-1875 era award examples are rare.

Tony
          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Thanks Tony for the reply. The 1990's (which I refer to now as the late 1900's) does coincide with the fall of the Soviet Union..opening trade, etc. all the ramifications. It would be nice to identify a source of them someday-good or bad. Perhaps D Niemann might know.
            Randy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X