EK Frames, Distinctive Marks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK Frames, Distinctive Marks?

I bought an EK2, CD800 a while back and noticed it had "dots" on the corners of the beading. I posted pics of it in the database under CD800 as I thought it might be a distinctive marking that could be used to identify unmarked EK's.
    Here's a close up of one side of the marked EK2, CD800 with "dots".
    Attached Files

Just a couple of days ago my unmarked EK1 returned from England. I had Jimmy put on a new pin. Here's a close-up of the front. When I looked at it closely, I noticed it had the same "dots" on the beading. Now I'm wondering if these "dots" are quite common, or do I have a marked EK2 CD 800 and an unmarked EK1 CD 800, both with "dots"? I only have a few crosses, I'd think that would be too big of a coincidence, but who knows?

I'd like to hear if anyone has a *marked* EK, other than CD800, that has these dots on the beading. They weren't noticeable to me until I looked at them with a maginfying glass. My eyes aren't that good. Thanks, Ammersee
    Attached Files

Comment

Good catch.
      That is a very interesting discovery. I checked my own CD800
      cross and mine also has the dots. It will be interesting to see
      if this just shows up on CDs or if it is seen on other makers.

Comment

Originally posted by gregM View Post
        Good catch.
        That is a very interesting discovery. I checked my own CD800
        cross and mine also has the dots. It will be interesting to see
        if this just shows up on CDs or if it is seen on other makers.

Have two CD 800 EKII's with "dots".

Regards,

Ed

Comment

My next question is...what are these dots for? When I first saw them, they reminded me of the rubber "hairs" that stick out on new tires. On the tires, there are holes in the mold to let out air and give the rubber somewhere to go to make sure the mold is filled.
          Would compressing the beading in the corners of an EK require there to be a "relief hole" so the excess silver had somewhere to go? Just thinking. At least so far no other maker seemed to need it. Ammersee

Comment

Created when pressing the two halves together and soldering? Pressure created perhaps

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X