X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 EK1 for discussion.

Posting on behalf of Randy (tegunn) -

Hello all!
    I'm new to this forum and would like to commend everyone on how well you relate to each other-very respectful! I have some photos of an Iron cross 1870 1st cl. that I once owned. I really wanted to run it by all you to find out what the general feeling of its authenticity. Obviously at this point this info will be logged in my photo data library as learning tool. I sold it for top dollar then, but wow how prices changed! I started collecting while stationed in Germany in the late 80's. Then EK 1914 2nd classes were about 10-15 DM-about 7-10 $.. I don't understand why they have go up so much (mainly in Europe)--they are still pretty common. Anyway take look and tell me what you think..
    Randy.
    Attached Files

reverse...
    Attached Files

Comment

makers mark...
      Attached Files

Comment

crown...
        Attached Files

Comment

This is one cross I haven't had much experience with because they are so rare and expensive. The one thing I noticed is how fat the W and date look. They don't look right. Not great detail on the crown either, as these were known for thier quality. I'm not sure about the maker mark either. Again, I could be wrong but I'm willing to suffer the public ridicule if I am.

Comment

In my opinon this cross doesn't match what I would expect
            to see in a Wagner. As Steve mentioned the crown detail is
            way off, the "W" is also different. The one posted is much
            thicker than it should be. Also the date does not match.
            Compare the "8" to the one posted below.

Photo courtesy of Tiger1--
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm curious in the roughly 40 years whether Wagner(or any company for that matter) changed their masters for the centers. It would be a good research study to be able to follow a company throughout the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian View Post
                ...I have some photos of an Iron cross 1870 1st cl. that I once owned. I really wanted to run it by all you to find out what the general feeling of its authenticity. I sold it for top dollar then.....
                Hi Tegunn and welcome aboard.

Sadly, this is neither a genuine Wagner nor even a genuine 1870 EK1.

I hope you didn't sell it for TOOOO much...

Marshall

Comment

I sold it as an unknown. It was some time ago, but if I can recall, I didn't loose money on it. Then again I didn't retire on its sale either..

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X