Ehrenkreuz + Urkunde!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ehrenkreuz + Urkunde!

Got this medal and urkunde with a grouping I aquired some days ago..

I believed the "Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer" was the award without swords? Am I wrong?

So, my question is, could the urkunde and the medal belong together? I am NO expert on Ehrenkreuz I'm afraid So if anyone could enlighten me on the document, and why it was awarded (in this specific case) I would be most grateful :-)

The information I found:

* Honour Cross for Combatants (Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer) - for soldiers who fought on the front.
    * Honour Cross for War Participants (Ehrenkreuz für Kriegsteilnehmer) - for non-combatant soldiers
    * Honour Cross for Next-of-Kin (Ehrenkreuz für Hinterbliebene) - for the next-of-kin of fallen soldiers

The Honour Cross for War Participants differed from the Honour Cross for Combatants by not having the crossed swords. The Honour Cross for Next-of-Kin also lacked swords, was lacquered in black, and had a different ribbon.

This is what makes me believe the urkunde was not the correct one for the displayed medal!??

The medal and document was with a group from a soldier of WW2, born in 1920. Could he have recieved this as a next-of-kin, or is it likely that this one belonged to someone else?

Thank you for your help!
    Best regards,
    Jørgen
    Attached Files

The Urkunde:
    Attached Files

Comment

Your group is absolutely correct, the Ehrenkreuz without swords was for noncombat, while the black example was for widows and next of kin awards. You are lucky to have the packet with the cross.

Comment

Thank your for your reply :-)

But who was awarded this cross (with swords?).. The family (widow, next-of-kin) or the father of the soldier (Born 1920).. ?

Comment

I don't think anyone born in 1920 would be eligible for the award shown here. Even if they applied for it for a relative, I would think the relative who was in the war would have thier name and other information on the document. This was an award that was instituted in 1934 to honor anyone who was involved in the war effort of WW1 It had to be applied for. The medals themselves are very common, but the documents, are a little harder to find.

Comment

Thank you Steve..

In this case, the name on the Urkunde is the same as on the other awards in the grouping (awarded to a soldier born in 1920)..

It is, of course, a possibility then that his father had the same name as his son?

Comment

The owner of the award (and the Urkunde) must have served personally in

WW I. So if he is born in 1920 he could not be the person.

I think it was his father - who had the same name!

Gerdan

Comment

Thank you Gerdan!

Best regards,

Jørgen

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X