Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

researching relatives WW1 unit

Hello,

I was curious if someone knows of were I can find out what unit my relative served in the US army during WW1-everyone in my family tells me the same thing-he was in some horse mounted unit but thats all they can tell me-he passed away when i was 13 and i never had a chance to speak to him about the war or his time in the service-is there some government archive i can check to find out,I have all of his personal information-D.O.B etc.

thanks yancy

relatives

This maybe difficult has a large portions of service records were destroyed in a fire in the 1970's. Try writing the US archives in Maryland. They may point you in the right direction.
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

Go to either his home state's or the state he enlisted in's STATE military archives. Everything is duplicated at state level. They should be able to turn him up from full name and date of birth. Try contacting your state's national Guard Adjutant General's Office for the exact name/place/number of what your state military archive is called and where it is.

I can tell you from personal experience researching that it is FAR better to find out their open hours and turn up live than send in a letter.... and wait. And wait. Those archives are always understaffed and they have PILES of letters from people who want to know all about their Civil War ancestor whose name was "Jim," they think....

Or try an obituary notice from the local paper too... that just may have specific information that has been forgotten. Many places (the smaller the better) also wrote up veteran's news or will list them when they came back for a Victory Parade in 1919, so if you know where he lived then....

Some states printed their WW1 service records-- I happen to have all for Connecticut right here in the house. Sometimes you will find, as in that case, that another state claimed them as veterans-- since there were so many Connecticutters who crossed over to sign up at the navy yards in Brooklyn, NY etc. Even so, home state should have a record.

Massachusetts' records are also intact... I just don't know about anyplace else.

Comment

Maine's are intact and the AJ's report came out @1923. It is very complete. I'll look up anybody for free.
        Also, New York and Iowa and Utah also have very complete records (same for Spanish war too). I think Vermont &New Hampshire's AJ Reports are also complete and in bound volumes.
        I'm certain there are others. The south seems to be the worst record keepers.
        Some of this stuff is even on-line.
        Check Ebay-they often have state books for sale. Also, if your chap was a Californian, check the San Francisco Library in geneology.
        Cheers,
        JeMc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X