Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monogram on M 71 bayonet handle

Hi,
    can anybody recognize those markings? First letter appears to be S but the second is unclear. Which of the ruler indicate those letters?
    Kind regards

M1871 Bayonet markings

The markings on your bayonet are standard inspectors stamps. The marking that will tell you what you want to know is located on the spine of the blade at the crossguard and will have as an example: crown over a W which will be over a two digit number that indicates the year that the bayonet was taken into service. You have a better chance of getting the information that you seek if this is known. Does your bayonet have a unit marking stamped on the crossguard? This may also help determine where it was used.

Comment

Hi John Allen,
      my bayonet is in poor condition (found in my neighbour's workshop) and only those markings are visible. I've heard thet they are monograms of one of the German rullers, but which of them?
      Kind regards

Comment

M71 bayonet

The markings are not monograms of any of the German rulers. They are only inspectors stamps and will not tell when it was inspected or under which ruler they were applied,only that it was offically inspected to be sure that it was serviable and met requirements. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks John Allen.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X