EKII from chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKII from chain?

Is this original from chain? I want to read some impressions about it, a friend of mien is selling it and I'm interested in buy it.
    Thanks

strainge cross

so and now you have to wait until the next givs you a respons.
    to determen if this one is a real original.
    measuremends is the thing jou need here

Y dont know enything about them.

welldone ,,,nice you had all these frindly responses.
    from chains, means minature .
    my mistake.
    wy can't y stop being a idiot
    Last edited by p-verstegen; 09-17-2007, 04:12 PM. Reason: idiots do this

Comment

Valuk,

This EK can be from a chain or a minature lapel medal bar.

Mini EKs came in varying sizes and different levels of finish.

Being that a mini was for commercial sale and civilian wear these crosses often did not exactly match the original award item. They are a representation. That's why you will see things like a blank back and the ring oriented like a GC. This is not unusual as there are many variations on that theme and a substantial collection can be acquired just collecting these mini variations.

Looks like a nicely detailed example to me.

Tony
      An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Hello Valuk,

I would say that it’s size is the key in determining whether your cross is made for a miniature chain. Generally, size-wise, miniatures fall into two categories. In the first, the EK’s run about 13 mm and in the more common second, they are about 15.5 to 17 mm.

Assuming that your cross fits into the “made for a miniature chain” criteria, I must say that the plain reverse is quite unusual; and it can naturally be assumed that this is meant to signify a 1st class award. I can only say that I can not recall ever seeing a miniature chain with two EK’s to signify 1st and 2nd class awards. That is not to say that this cannot be - keep in mind that miniature chains were private purchase items and often do not completely conform to regulations.

In closing I would like to point out that in the world of miniatures, workmanship ranges from junk to works of art and nowhere is this in greater evidence than with the EK’s. Assuming that your cross meets the size requirements, I would rate it (at least the obverse) as being at the higher end of the curve. I hope that this information is helpful.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Comment

Hello and thanks for the replies. Here are 2 other photos

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X