Non Combatant EK 2 1914 & 1870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Combatant EK 2 1914 & 1870

Non Combatant EK 2 1914 & 1870. I have been studing the 1870 posts all day and I think this little rascal maybe just maybe be OK. I haven't studied the 1914 as much but it wanted to be with its older brother.
    Attached Files

Reverse

Reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Perfectly good 1870 made by Godet.
      Non-combat 1870s are a rare bird. Have you done a black
      light test on the ribbon? I am not suggesting that anything
      is wrong with it but people have been known to add a white/black
      ribbon to a cross to sell it for a premium.

What is marked on the ribbon ring?

Comment

I was sweating it but....evan a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.........they did not light up. I couln't find a mark on the ring. Jimmy
        Last edited by Jimmy; 09-17-2007, 09:11 AM. Reason: add

Comment

EKII 1870 were not marked, were they?

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The 1914 looks
            like it is marked S-W ?
            Last edited by gregM; 09-17-2007, 06:16 PM.

Comment

The 1914 is indeed marked S-W. Thanks for your eagle eye input. Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                I was sweating it but....evan a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.........they did not light up. I couln't find a mark on the ring. Jimmy
                I hate to be a rain cloud, but it is very easy to add a ribbon after removing an old tatterd one. Along with oak leaves. These ribbons look as if they were added recently.

Very nice crosses, it is just that it seems that the ribbons are the same age and were cut probably at the same time. They even have the same folding pattern.

Comment

I thank you for your caustic remarks but I assure I have had them airtight under glass since I bought them at the LA show before it moved to Pomona, that was a long time ago for you younger fellows and that was the way the were then. And I bought them from two different fellows. One being a famous dealer named Johnson. So if indeed there was a replacement it was done a long time ago and by two different people. I paid $60 for the 1870 and the sellar said it would have been more had it had the black stripe down the middle.
                  In person the two different ribbons have a different degree of aging (color).
                  Jimmy

Comment

Rolf,

Look and see. The ribbons are certainly different. Look at the spacing of the bands. The 1870 does look to be properly porportioned but to be sure one would have to compare it with the 1:1 scale 1870 ribbon shown in Heyde's book.

The ribbons look to have genuine age versus the ageing being forced or faked.

Just some thoughts.

Tony
                    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

I thank you for your caustic remarks but I assure I have had them airtight under glass since I bought them at the LA show before it moved to Pomona, that was a long time ago for you younger fellows and that was the way the were then. And I bought them from two different fellows. One being a famous dealer named Johnson. So if indeed there was a replacement it was done a long time ago and by two different people. I paid $60 for the 1870 and the sellar said it would have been more had it had the black stripe down the middle.
                      In person the two different ribbons have a different degree of aging (color).
                      Jimmy

I wasn't intending to be "caustic" I was just making notice of the similarities in the ribbons because they are folded the same way as eachother (reverse side).

There is no way to tell for certain if these in fact were Non Combatant issue or if they received that status after the years had gone by. The reason I say this is because ribbons are easily switched, lost, or destroyed.

The crosses and oak leaves are nice (I have two sets of oak leaves like that), but without them being mounted, one will never know.

Comment

Rolf,
                        It goes without saying.
                        Any collectible with a detachable piece is a given. You take it like you did your wife, on faith.
                        Automatic pistols are tricky because of the obvious grips & clips but there are many small parts that could have and have been switched out.
                        Medals with ribbons are always and always will be a problem.
                        Either know your stuff or get out of the way.
                        I'm in the process of getting out of the way with regards to militaria. I just can not grasp the details needed. Thanks for all.
                        Jimmy

Comment

Rolf,
                          It goes without saying.
                          Any collectible with a detachable piece is a given. You take it like you did your wife, on faith.
                          Automatic pistols are tricky because of the obvious grips & clips but there are many small parts that could have and have been switched out.
                          Medals with ribbons are always and always will be a problem.
                          Either know your stuff or get out of the way.
                          I'm in the process of getting out of the way with regards to militaria. I just can not grasp the details needed. Thanks for all.
                          Jimmy
                          I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you if I did. I was just stating some of the lessons I had learned also. Some things dealers tell you too. Just too plain easy to do some things in this hobby.

Are you switching to a different field or just getting out of the collecting hobby?

Comment

Rolf I'm 66 and I have a fear of my inheritors selling my collectibles at a garage sale for 25cents.
                            Basicly I'm tired of being sold bad as good.
                            I think it time to sort it out for my kids and price it if I can. For sure seperate the good from the bad. Maybe sell a little on the way. When I am finished if I still am able I'll probally start selling in earnest. Thanks for all your help. Jimmy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X