1870 EK2 - 1of 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1870 EK2 - 1of 5

Here is one of five 1870 EK2's I picked up recently. They are difficult to photograph so I will post them seperately as I am able to get decent images. This one is 41.8 mm in width and height. The ribbon is 34 mm in width. Is it OK?
    Thanks, Richard
    Attached Files

Reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Crown - The beading on the frame has a cross hatched pattern where iit meets around the "W" - sort of like what you see on Juncker RK's.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by rfleming32; 09-12-2007, 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Detail of the date
        Attached Files

Comment

Perhaps a better shot of the crown at an oblique angle. Any thoughts??????
          Attached Files

Comment

I see no problems at all with this Iron Cross.
            Can't wait to see the rest of them.

Comment

The period made 1870 EKs are normally having tall and straight casting. During the production, the mold would be abrased and the edge of the letters and crown would be obtuse, that's why many crosses are in same pattern but different quality. The modern copys are also showing obtuse details, but not from the abrased mold, just in the lack of quality. I have more than 10 years experience in collecting antique cast coins, and the thing I'm talking about is sort of basic knowlege of identifying castings. Since I'm not so good in english, hopefully you can understand what I'm talking about. Just find some 1870EKs that in 100% original, then compare with 1914 EKs and copys, you will understand what I'm saying. From my opinion, this is not a period made EK, could be from 1914 era. Another 1870 EKII you have posted is a fake.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X