Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Frackspange

Hello there!

I have a question and I hope someone might know the answer. I just received my first "Frackschnalle" with two awards, an EKII on combat ribbon (black-white) as well as the Prussian award "Fuer Kriegshilfsdienst". The medalbar had the right feel (e.g. the ribbons are made out of silk, magnetic three-piece EK), however, the cross for "Kriegshilfe" is not magnetic. This is the first time I have handled such a cross, is this correct? Does "made out of Kriegsmetall" actually mean " non-magnetic"??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Thorsten

Hello Thorsten, congratulations on your purchase. You are correct in assuming that the Kriegshilfsdienst award should not be magnetic. Be extra careful with it, if dropped the points of the arms damage easily, as I have found to my cost in the past!

Regards,

J

Comment

Hello,

"Kriegsmetall" is a zinc alloy used during wartime to avoid an excessive use of metal, necessary to the war efforts.

The Kreuz für Kriegshilfsdienst is made of that metal. Unofficial pieces made for private purchase after WW1, were made of better metal.

Kind regards,

Enzo

Comment

Many thanks for your reply! The Frackspange has settled in nicely in my display cabinet.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
        X