A Study of the Godet Style PlM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Les View Post

Jim's excerpting Edkin's remarks, and the comments about Schickle caught my attention. I've owned a Schickle, and handled a few of them. What doesn't show up in any of the photographs is they are hollow, not solid. I've heard, but not seen of a silver gilt version, and will have to root through my records for measurements, weights, etc, and especially photos to digitally overlap over each other.

If Edkins is correct and the PlM in the above photo is hollow silver, marked "SILBER", and as he said there are others but with different markings, there are problems whether pieces have markings removed and new marks added, etc.

Markings alone are not proof that something is what the marks indicate. Anyone who works with metal knows markings can be obliterated, and remarked. It's doubtful someone would remove JGUS on a marked piece, but on something marked otherwise, it's not entirely outside the realm of collector experience that a piece with other markings might turn up with JGUS or some such.

I know more than a few gunsmiths and engravers who can copy stampings and markings from an item that are correct, and transfer the markings to something else. It's commonly done by more than a few people who want to sell, or have what appear to be "all matching serial numbers" and so on. It's not hard to do, but don't ask me to tell. I don't do it myself, and don't encourage it.
    Here is the Schickle Silver Gilt PlM marked Silber on the suspension. I just acquired it....

Comment

Ccj,

Looks good.

Acquiring one of these puppies is much easier on the wallet than a wartime Wagner or any of the two versions made by Godet, and display very nicely in a collection.

Comment

Want to show another double sided Meybauer. Ribbon is a replacement.

Last edited by lewjian; 04-16-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Does it have any markings?

Comment

Originally posted by ccj View Post
            Does it have any markings?
            No markings

Comment

Hi Gentleman,
              Can I throw these 3 PLM's into the mix,
              They are in the possession of the Australian War Memorial. One was brought back from ww1 from a solider and his medals and his sons ww2 medals are in possession of the AWM.

The Other 2 obtained in the 1920's. One Marked js JG 938, the other no marks mentioned,

Also on the bring bring pre 1919 cross no marks mentioned,(if they exist) possibly no care taken to add markings to the brief of one or both of the unmarked ones.

1st photo no marks or at least mentioned picked up in the 1920's
              2nd photo JG 935 picked up in the 1920's
              3rd photo no marks or at least no mention picked up prior to 1919.

Comment

Yes, 1 and 2 are definitely postwar. In my opinion 3 looks like a nice silver-gilt war piece or very early 1920. It should be marked JGuS 938...

Comment

All three are beautiful and collectible

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X