Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone see this today?

Hello,

I'm not quite sure what to make of this, I certainly wasn't expecting to see a cased 1914 GC on Detlev's weekly update. Why is it so cheap if it is so incredibly rare? I honestly never thought I would ever see one of these for sale. Can anyone enlighten me?

If posting this picture on here is a problem, let me know, I am assuming it comes under the fair use banner.
    Attached Files

Looks like a copy or replacement piece or the like. Reminds me of the S&L Third Reich era 1914 EK1 pieces. It probably is actually. The paint and core just look like that. This is most likely a WW2 or post WW2 piece.

Comment

This was the description that went with it, I wasn't quite sure what to make of this either...

"Iron core, silver frame, with loop and (original) ribbon in a nicely made display case. Very good quality cross for display purposes"

Comment

I saw it too, I thought DN'S description meant it was a later piece made for museums ETC

Comment

Yes, "For Display Purposes" usually means not original.
          Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

Hmmm, that's a very expensive copy and I find it most unusual for Detlev to sell a reproduction on his site and not clearly label it as such. I wonder if the new owner realises what they bought...

Comment

Aren't Grand Crosses extremely rare, as in only a handful ever awarded? They aren't an item you just pick up on a dealer's weekly update are they? Anyone who would think they could hasn't really looked into it.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge only 5 were awarded, but there were jewellers copies available, which are technically still the real mcoy.

Comment

Steve,

Here is a great thread started by Tom Y that shows some incredible examples of jewleers and others, etc. Lots of info here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=Grand+Cross

Steve

Comment

Thanks, those pieces shown there are nicer than the one posted here.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X