Museum Quality Replicas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Museum Quality Replicas?

Hello all, I've recently been bitten by the Imperial German collector's bug, and I need a bit of help. I've been browsing some sites, and have found many pieces that I wish to own, and with a little bit of time, I'll have a nice collection of Imperial crosses, but there are a few that I absolutely love, but don't much fancy the price tags. I was wondering if anyone knows a place that deals in Museum Quality Copies of the rarer House orders? I'm particularly interested in the maltese styles of the Red Griffin order and the Blue order of the House of Henry the Lion. These two I definitely want, and could never afford an original. I hope someone out there can help me

Most of the reproduction I have seen are not worth having. A reproduction that is well made and looks good would be expensive as the labor involved would be extensive. It is the amount of labor and detail that makes imperial orders what they are.
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

Mike, Manion's Auction House often features imperial era "museum-quality" replicas. As you would expect, some are better 'quality' than others. And, as Paul said, the nicer ones can often be expensive due to the detailed enamel work and the fine joining of multiple pieces/parts.

Scott

Comment

Mike,

Please .... please don't go down that road. There are many Imperial Orders out there that do not cost a fortune. Hold your money and buy a nice example of one of the Saxon Awards, such as an Albert Cross 2nd class or a Bavarian MMO 2nd class.

I've been collecting for about 7 years now and there are still many Orders I wish to own. My main criteria is ... save .... wait and buy the best you can. But most of all, make sure it's the genuine article. Don't be in a rush, learn, understand what you are looking for and only then buy it.

The Third Reich collecting area is full of fakes and copies. The last bastion of true awards are to be found in Imperial. The last thing we want to do is encourage these to be copied.

All the best, Mike

Comment

Thank you Mike for expressing my sentiments with regard to to this inquiry.

I must, however, disagree with your last comment in that while certainly not as bad as Third Reich and Soviet, unfortunately Imperial German copies do exist - perhaps more than most of us want to acknowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Card View Post
            ... unfortunately Imperial German copies do exist - perhaps more than most of us want to acknowledge.
            They do indeed.

Scott

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X