woman in Navy Uniform Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

woman in Navy Uniform Photo

Is this a case of a Navy Fashion Victim or were there really women that wore some type of Navy uniform in Germany in WW1? Cheers, Torsten.
    Attached Files

its the sleeve patch that makes me stop from dismissing it as a fashion item straight away??
    Attached Files

Comment

A couple of years ago there was a whole thread showing photos of women dressed up in men's military uniforms, so it was a fairly common practice. However, there's usually a fairly strong element of humor in most of those pictures, something pretty much lacking here. Also, this outfit fits pretty well (in fact the sleeves are a bit on the short side), which doesn't suggest she's wearing the husband's jumper. However, could still be lots of things non-military, from an actress who did patriotic numbers on stage to a member of some kind of women's auxiliary soliciting funds for the families of sailors.

Comment

Hi Verkuilen,

thank you for the info. I did look for an Imperial Women in Uniform thread before starting this thread but could not find one ... would you or anyone else be able to post pics of women in Imperial Navy uniforms? Does anyone have any 'official' pics of any 'official' Navy uniforms worn by women for whatever reason? Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Torsten,

There were no men's navy shirts that had this type of buttoned pocket. So I don't believe that this is a just a case of a wife or sweetheart wearing her man's shirt.

Can you make a close-up of the insignia? I cannot make out what it is. It might be a further clue.

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Chip M View Post
            Torsten,

There were no men's navy shirts that had this type of buttoned pocket. So I don't believe that this is a just a case of a wife or sweetheart wearing her man's shirt.

Can you make a close-up of the insignia? I cannot make out what it is. It might be a further clue.

Chip
            Hi Chip, I also think that this is more than just a dressing up excersize for the boys and that somehow she is wearing an official uniform belonging to her in her own right .... will try and take a better pic later today..Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X