Hamburg Cross & Bayern Cross Together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hamburg Cross & Bayern Cross Together?

My friend Adam was telling me about a German WWI 5 place medal bar that he won on eBay a few weeks ago. He stated that the bar had the following medals:

1914 EK2
    Bayern-Militarverdienstkreuz
    Hamburg-Hanseatenkreuz
    Hindenburg Cross w/Swords
    Hungarian - World War I Memory Medal

I really don't know a lot about Imperial bars, however I question the validity of this bar due to the presence of the Hamburg Hanseaten Cross and the Bayern Military Cross beign together on this bar . Would this be possiable or is this one of those bad WWI eBay medal bars that I read about so often on this fourm? I kind of hope it isn't possiable because I would really love to bust his bubble !

John

Value would be about 150+ Euros (with a MVK 3). The combination is possible; could be member of the Navy or someone from Hamburg serving in or with a bavarian unit. Don't care about the hungarian medal, it could be awarded to everyone who applied for it. A picture would be great to check for any "put together" signs and the condition/grade of the medals.

Comment

Hamburg was a "slut" when it came to handing out their Cross. They'd give one to annnnybody!

Except for staff lounge lizards who got things for lighting cigarettes or being jolly dinner companions, enlisted men had to EARN their awards--and the lower the rank, the harder it was to get awards from multiple states.

This group doesn't ring any alarm bells--without pix--though. As Jens says, assuming this recipient was from either Bavaria or Hamburg and so got the two which locals routinely got, that just leaves whichever the third award was to account for. Big states like these two were more liberal with awards than the tiny Duchies running on a tighter budget.

Comment

Damn! I was really hoping to rub his nose in it...

Thanks

Comment

Rick is right about the awards of the Hamburg Hanseatic Cross. They awarded about 120000 of these crosses. Bremen awarded only about 20000 and Lübeck with about 8000 is the rarest!

Comment

fear not!!

I have seen somewhere in the past month-just such a combination of medals-to a navy Unterofficer in a wedding photo (@1919 no HK or Hunagrian medal obviously).
            I remember noting it becaus eof the two states' awards and the lower NCO rank of the chap.
            Could it have been the Stogie collection? Rick, Rick?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X