Steel Helmet Markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel Helmet Markings

I've recently acquired a M1918 steel helmet -not the "cut-out" version- and wonder if anyone can help me regarding some markings which are stencilled (or painted?) on the centre of the rear inner skirt. They consist of "62" -the size of the helmet shell, which is also stamped, along with the maker's code, on the side of the inner skirt in the usual place- and what looks like a combined "AK" above it. I am right in thinking that they mean that the helmet has passed through an army repair depot? Is that the reason for the new size marking? And what does "AK" stand for? Could they -God forbid!- be postwar markings? Any help would be much appreciated, best regards, Paul.

pic

I have also been looking for a helmet like you have. Can you post some pics?
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

AK is a mystery as stamping it Armee-Korps with no number is pointless. AK does not (as you know already) match any known maker codes. Why not e-mail Ken Niewiarowicz? A very nice guy with tons of knowledge on German helmets. His web site is http://germanhelmetsinc.com/ Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X