HELP! Imperial Knowledge needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Imperial Knowledge needed

I am attempting to put together a timeline for the awardee of my recent ribbon bars . . . Karl Niemeyer.

He was promoted Oberst in 1905.

He retired in 1913, was recalled as a Generalmajor in WW1, retired again and merged with the infinite in 1925.

On his ribbon bar is a 1870 Campaign Medal with a 'Metz' bar.

The following questions arise

1) What was the average retirement age of an Oberst in 1913? If 65 that would put his birth year in 1848 (22 in 1870). If 60 that would put the birth year in 1853 (17 in 1870).

2) What was the time in grade for officer ranks and relavent ages from 1870 to 1914?

What reference are there so I can find this out on my own?

Hello David,

I've found him in the 1908 Rang-Liste as Kommandeur of the Landwehrbezirk Bielefeld:
    Oberst z.D. Niemeyer RAO4, KO3, DAK, BZ3b, WV3, WVK3, WF3a, JV5, NN4 Char. 22.04.05
    An Oberst was in peace app. 54,5 years old, which would make 1850 as his birthdate.
    As he only participated in the 1870 campaign, he must have been 20 then (I guess, or were there also volunteers etc. used in that campaign?), So I'd say birthdate between 1848 and 1852...

Jan

Comment

For a regimental (unit, not General Staff type) Prussian officer in this period--

about 9 years as a 2nd Lt
      about 6 years as a 1st Lt
      about 9 years as a Captain
      about 6 years as a Major
      usually 3 years as a Lt Col
      usually 3 years as a Colonel

there were sometimes less or more at individual ranks over time, but that would have been an average all peacetime duties career path. Officers did not so much retire for age as on the "up or out" system. Promotions were on a fairly strict by seniority system, divided between "fast track" General staff types and the troop unit "plodders." For example, an "iG" officer was normally a Captain at age 33 and a Major at 39-- 3 years and 5 years before regimental officers.

Comment

Jan and Rick,

Many Thanx

That's what I needed.

Comment

Hi David,

did I hear ribbon bar?
          You have one from Col.Niemeyer? So post it please!

Best regards

Daniel

Comment

I've got both Niemeyer ribbon bars. They are nothing short of magnificent!

My usually reliable scanner is not doing what it is supposed to, I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times and still nothing. . . it's less than a year old (Epson 1250) . . .

I've got 8 new ribbon bars (new to me) and I can't scan them . . .

moremad

Comment

They were at my house with the Stogie-person, but MY scanner couldn't handle them... due to its "stripes spreading from the left" "issues," so me no have scans of them either!

EIGHT! EIGHT?????????

Comment

Rick . . .

Yes eight!

Some of them you are familiar with . . . they came to sunny California (85 today) from the land of the Stogie . . . including one of the Ricks first St Henry bars (I had to eat cat food for a week after buying that ).

One came via eBay (stop laughing!) and some came from an odd source in Germany. And two came from the glorious estand. And last week I concluded a deal which will bring a HHO3X (maybe?) 4 place ribbon barto live with me.

My latest purchase was the 1914 Ranklist from Paul C. . . . how do you do what you do ????. . . it's probably easier for me to learn chinese.

I will have a new scanner by next weekend . . .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X