Pour Le Merite - Opinions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pour Le Merite - Opinions??

I've been watching this PlM andwould like to know some expert thoughts.

Brien,

IMO, save your money. It caught my eye too but there are just many things that are not right. This is a nice and very high quality fake that is the latest and improved version of what collectors call the 'Spanish Fake.' Whether it is actually made in Spain, I do not know.

The eBay example you speak of is on the left on the comparison below. The one on the right is another eBay offering of the same thing but older version. These well-made crossed have swindled collectors of tens of thousands of dollars.

They appear to be made of a gold electroplate on bronze. I have examined them in hand in great detail but not the newer ones that are cutting out the eagles. the eagles used to be the dead give away becasue they were soldi formed aroud the feet. Now they are smarter but they still cannot change the core and the eagles without changing the whole mold.

Without placing one side-by-side with an original (we don't want to educate the crooks too much), I will merely point out the inconsistencies this cross has with a real 1916-1918 Wagner which this cross trie to fake. What is amazing is the many of these try to pass off as Godets, which look absolutely nothing like this. But they do resemble real Wagners very, very closely.

Below are the differences while comparing the old and new of this fake. Hope this helps, Steve
    Attached Files

Comment

Plm

Thank you,

I just wanted to participate in the forum and thought this a likely candidate to question.

What is your opinion of the S&L copies since I don't beleive I will be coming into 30,000 any time soon.

Comment

Brien,

Here is a pretty thorough study on the S&L PlMs.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hauer+Luck+PlM

I own one as well and I like them. They can occaisionally slip through as fakes at very decent prices. They are very well made. Finding one with any provenance is next to impossible but they are out there, many in museums when the recipients passed on. Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X