Order of the Zahringen Lion, Baden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sal Williams View Post
    I do like it, but that does not look like the genuine gold type to me. Is it actual gold on that one?
    Oh, yes it is! Actual, genuine gold.
    At the beginning, we took the medal to a jeweller (here in Italy) for him to examine it.
    He said: "I don't know what it is or where it comes from. The only thing I know for sure is that it is GOLD, at least 22carats gold. These gemstones are not emeralds but green glass. Wonderful piece. Search on the Internet".

So, here I am.
    Last edited by cosmic; 07-01-2007, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Cant be at least 24carat.. 24carat is 100% gold and is more or less never used in jewellry, its to soft for that.

I think the piece look plated to be honest, in some parts it looks to me like the silver underneath is showing. But that might just be the pics.

Might be gold on the cross, but the rest looks plated.

Best Regards
      Henke

Comment

There are genuine gold ones as well as gold colored ones. From the pics I also thought it looked like a plated one but You have it in hand so I will believe you can see it better than we can. Nice piece

Comment

Originally posted by Henke View Post
          Cant be at least 24carat.. 24carat is 100% gold and is more or less never used in jewellry, its to soft for that.
          Oops, you're right. I meant at least 18carat!
          You know, the standard for coins is 22 carat (916/1000), so I mixed up.
          The jeweller had it in hand and followed it out accurately.
          I can't see the difference between a genuine gold piece and a gold colored piece (it's not my job), but a jeweller surely can!

Originally posted by Henke View Post
          I think the piece look plated to be honest, in some parts it looks to me like the silver underneath is showing.
          Silver underneath showing?!?
          Maybe it's just a little bit of "patina". If we'd clean the medal, it would shine, of course. But is it correct to remove such stains?
          If you clean an old coin, you make it lose currency!

Believe me, the medal is not gold plated.
          I'm not trying to cheat anybody, I don't want to sell it!
          They simply asked me what it is (and now I know it) and how much it is worth (still I don't know it exactly).
          The only information I had for sure, when I started searching, was that it is genuine gold, so why do you question this fact?
          Last edited by cosmic; 07-01-2007, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Hello,

your piece is an Order of the Z******228;hringer L******246;we, Knight's Cross 1st Class, in gold: looking at its manufacture and other details I can say that it shouldn't be a plated piece.

The ribbon-ring and ribbon are missing.

At the last Stuttgart ISA show, such crosses, although complete, were offered for a price-range of Euro 400/500. On the Italian market (not highly interested in the Old German States) the price could be a little bit less.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
              Oops, you're right. I meant at least 18carat!
              You know, the standard for coins is 22 carat (916/1000), so I mixed up.
              The jeweller had it in hand and followed it out accurately.
              I can't see the difference between a genuine gold piece and a gold colored piece (it's not my job), but a jeweller surely can!

Silver underneath showing?!?
              Maybe it's just a little bit of "patina". If we'd clean the medal, it would shine, of course. But is it correct to remove such stains?
              If you clean an old medal, you make it lose currency!

Believe me, the medal is not gold plated.
              I'm not trying to cheat anybody, I don't want to sell it!
              They simply asked me what it is (and now I know it) and how much it is worth (still I don't know it exactly).
              The only information I had for sure, when I started searching, was that it is genuine gold, so why do you question this fact?

Hi

Yes I know the standard for gold coins, and its sometimes the same for medals when it comes to the carat. Its not always that easy to see if its plated or not, most of the times it is but not always. Depends on how thick the layer of gold is really. How did the jeweller do tho test the gold?

Im not trying to say that you trying to trick someone . Im 100% sure that youre honest, I just took a critic view, that is the easiest way to get to a correct answer .

From the pic it looked that it might have been plated, but its like impossible to tell from pics, you need to hold the piece in your hand really. As you said, what I thought looked like silver may have been patina.

Good luck with that lovely piece!

Comment

Real golden ones fetch over a thousand euros on the market. Without swords 1200-1300 and with swords around 1500.
                Antti

Comment

Originally posted by Elmar Lang View Post
                  Hello,

your piece is an Order of the Zähringer Löwe, Knight's Cross 1st Class, in gold: looking at its manufacture and other details I can say that it shouldn't be a plated piece.

The ribbon-ring and ribbon are missing.

At the last Stuttgart ISA show, such crosses, although complete, were offered for a price-range of Euro 400/500. On the Italian market (not highly interested in the Old German States) the price could be a little bit less.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                  Real golden ones fetch over a thousand euros on the market. Without swords 1200-1300 and with swords around 1500.

Hey guys, thank you very much! You're so kind.
                  Sure I would prefer its value to be in a range of 1200-1300€!
                  Anyway, I'll let the possessor know...

Best regards
                  Cosmic

Comment

One way to get a price for it would be to contact an auction house and ask them what price they would start at. You can always say that you are intrested in selling it even if tahts not true

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X