finally ribbon and ring
    Attached Files

Comment

last one
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Sal,
        The core of your cross is just what I would expect in a period 1870
        cross. The "flat 8" style of date and the crown details are all good.
        The frame IMO lacks the quality of a 1870 EK. Possibly reframed for some reason??????????? Hopefully someone with more knowledge
        than myself will add to the discussion.

PM sent

Comment

Hi Sal...

I think both you and Greg have pretty much got it right.

The core is textbook 1870 EK2 and that type of ring repair which encompasses the whole of the top frame is very common for this era - and earlier. Like yourself, I also think it probably the most aesthetic of all the repair 'styles'.

The frame has definitely been apart and poorly reassembled and I have never seen that amount of flawing to the beading of any 1870. I would only consider either of these two factors 'red flags' if the extent of the repairs was not made known to you prior to the sale. Plainly, with that core, it is not an out and out fake.

I suppose it is possible the frame has been replaced with a later version... but certainly I couldn't pick it. I can't match the beading to my own identical EK2 because yours is so worn - but I wouldn't consider that any of the obvious 'tampering' was with a sinister objective in mind.

It is what it is and if the price was right for this one - and it would have to be - I would have no issues with it at all as long as I wasn't duped about the extent of the repair work.

Nice one.

Marshall
          Last edited by Biro; 06-18-2007, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks Marshall, I was eagerly awaiting your opinion!

Best, Sal

Comment

the core lucks like it dosnt fit.
              repears all eround.
              kwality very bad.
              one look , not fore me .
              but y'm still jealous jou have one.
              b.r. groentjes milewink

Comment

I think you should be happy with that one!

Comment

Agreed - and sorry for the delay!

Comment

But, getting to your question about the frame and core... It fits close in some areas and then widens significantly. It's an original cross and frame, for me no question. The question why the filler? I'd guess damage or the cross just started seperating on its own and at some time a repair. This cross I'd also venture is an original early, early, awarded cross with its original early ribbon.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X