Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldenburg House order with or without swords

Hello All,

I need some opinions here (and this place has lots of them )....

Here is the scenario..... Danish General (well, he was a Lt. Colonel at the time).... Was Chief of the Engineering Corps and was awarded the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><ST1Oldenburg</st1:City>, House- and Merit Order ('Offizierskreuz') in January 1913.

During WW1 was an observer with the German army from October 1914 to November 1917... then became a General in 1918.

Question is..... in January 1913...... would he have been awarded the Offizierkreuz with or without swords ?

I have researched his service record in the Danish military records and they don't lists sword/no swords for ANY awards.........

Sooooooo what say ye all ?????

Cheers
    Mark

Hi Mark, I would have to say w/o swords. If you look at the German practice of awarding medals they did make distinction between combat and non-combat awards. Also, I assume, the house order with swords was more expensive to produce then the awards w/o swords. So I would again believe w/o swords.
    Imperial German Medalbars and Ribbonbars

Comment

Hey Paul,

I have since discovered the answer.. and you are correct... He was awarded the Officer's cross in May 1912 when he was Chief of the Engineers .. and it was without swords.

There was only ONE awarded before 1914 with swords and it was for Colonial service.

Cheers
      Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X